[Pirate Times Newsletter] The tenth edition.

A pirate newsletter with global news piratetimes at lists.pp-international.net
Sun Feb 10 22:08:24 CET 2013

===== Edition 10 =====
vom February 10, 2013

Welcome to the tenth edition of the Pirate Times newsletter. It was<br />
fairly quiet in the Pirate world this month so we wrote a few articles<br />
in the "Tips & Tricks" section. The Creative Commons, leafleting,<br />
video and we introduced you to the English speaking salon in Mumble.<br />
We also talked about the need for Pirates to be barrier free on the<br />
web. But the quiet was punctuated by more attention  gaining events<br />
such as Kim Dotcom praising the Pirate movement and especially PP.CAT<br />
for looking after the interests of Megaupload victims and the PPIS's<br />
Birgitta Jónsdóttir announcing she is planning a trip to the USA to<br />
the dismay of her Government and the concern and admiration of Pirates<br />
and activists around the world. To round things off we had a close<br />
call with privacy in Slovina and a riviting interview with PPUK's<br />
Preisident Loz Kay shortly after the Bristish Prime Minister anounced<br />
a referendum on whether the UK should stay in the EU. We hope you<br />
enjoy these news and we're always happy for feedback, ideas or tips at<br />
contact at piratetimes.net The Pirates Times Team Btw: You can also read<br />
the Pirate Times online at our blog [1] or for offline reading just<br />
download the PDF version: http://piratetimes.net/wp-uploads/news/2013/02/edition10.pdf<br />
Links:<br />
------<br />
[1] http://piratetimes.net<br />

=== Contents ===

Creative Commons – Sharing is Caring
How To: Distribute Leaflets in Letterboxes
The Pirate Movement on Facebook and Twitter – January 2013
Why Pirates Should Care About Accessibility on the Web
Corruption scandal in Spanish Government
Iceland’s Pirate Party Leader Plans Risky Trip to USA
Pirate Parties Help Victims of Megaupload Seizure
Using Video in the Pirate Cause
Mumble – The English Speaking Salon
Slovenia enacted net neutrality, but almost made a step toward Orwellian police state
UK/EU Debate – PPUK: “We will not benefit from antagonising neighbours”

Creative Commons – Sharing is Caring
vom February 10, 2013 geschrieben von Andrew Reitemeyer

The Pirate Times takes care to ensure that all media that is sourced
from outside our own group have a (CC) Creative Commons  license. In
the same spirit all our work is published under the licenses
attribution and share alike. Unfortunately and embarrassingly many
Pirates and even Pirate Parties post content to the web or in print
with “all rights reserved”.

http://piratetimes.net/creative-commons-sharing-is-caring/
How To: Distribute Leaflets in Letterboxes
vom February 8, 2013 geschrieben von Andrew Reitemeyer

Distributing leaflets to letterboxes is an effective and cost
effective way to get the Pirate message out there. We give you a few
ideas how to maximise the effectiveness of this campaign activity.

http://piratetimes.net/how-to-distribute-leaflets-in-letterboxes/
The Pirate Movement on Facebook and Twitter – January 2013
vom February 6, 2013 geschrieben von Josef Ohlsson Collentine

During the months of December and January the Pirate movement grew
with 6.509 followers on Facebook and 6.815 followers on twitter. This
brings the total amount of people following a pirate party on Facebook
or twitter to 675.176 people.

http://piratetimes.net/the-pirate-movement-on-facebook-and-twitter-january-2013/
Why Pirates Should Care About Accessibility on the Web
vom February 5, 2013 geschrieben von Janita Top

Government information and services are increasingly provided online.
Basically a good thing, but if these services are not provided in an
accessible way, some groups of people may have a problem because they
can't take part (any more) in these processes.

http://piratetimes.net/why-pirates-should-care-about-accessibility-on-the-web/
Corruption scandal in Spanish Government
vom February 2, 2013 geschrieben von Fabián Plaza Miranda

A huge corruption scandal has erupted in the Spanish Government.It has
important implications since it involves the Partido Popular (People's
Party, the leading political party in Spain), several Ministers and
even the current Prime Minister, Mr. Mariano Rajoy.

http://piratetimes.net/corruption-scandal-in-spanish-government/
Iceland’s Pirate Party Leader Plans Risky Trip to USA
vom February 2, 2013 geschrieben von Andrew Reitemeyer

Pirate Party Iceland's Birgitta Jónsdóttir will travel to the USA
early in April 2013, at great risk to her own liberty, to bring
attention to the fact that whistle blower Bradley Manning has been
held for over 1000 days without charge. The Icelandic government and
her own lawyers have strongly advised her not to go

http://piratetimes.net/icelands-pirate-party-leader-plans-risky-trip-to-usa/
Pirate Parties Help Victims of Megaupload Seizure
vom February 1, 2013 geschrieben von Andrew Reitemeyer

Kim Dotcom has been in the headlines ever since New Zealand police
raided his mansion at the behest of the FBI on 20 January 2013.
Millions of users who had innocently stored files, to which there were
no copyright or intellectual property infringements, on the Megaupload
servers lost all access to their data. Pirates are not the sort of
people stand on one side. The Pirate Party of Catalonia have taken
matters in hand and with the support of many national Pirate Parties
and Pirate Parties International

http://piratetimes.net/pirate-parties-help-victims-of-megaupload-siezure/
Using Video in the Pirate Cause
vom January 30, 2013 geschrieben von Andrew Reitemeyer

It is becoming increasingly clear that one of the most effective ways
to get the Pirate message across is by video. Pirat.cat Z  was the
most watched video of any in the recent elections in Catalonia. This
was produced by talented Pirates for very little outlay.

http://piratetimes.net/using-video-in-the-pirate-cause/
Mumble – The English Speaking Salon
vom January 28, 2013 geschrieben von Andrew Reitemeyer

If there is one thing that facilitates communication between
international Pirates it is the English language. Love it or hate it
most collaborative activities are conducted in English.  Pirate
Parties International has create a special room in Mumble for English
speakers from all over the world to me and interact.

http://piratetimes.net/mumble-the-english-speaking-salon/
Slovenia enacted net neutrality, but almost made a step toward Orwellian police state
vom January 26, 2013 geschrieben von Matic Urbanija

These days Slovenia is under pressure of constant protests against
corrupt politicians and government crisis which pushed everything else
to the edge of media attention. Even the enactment of the Electronic
Communication Act (ZEKom-1) which almost gave authorities a right to
unconstitutionally snoop on Slovenian citizens.

http://piratetimes.net/near-slovenian-net-neutrality-debacle/
UK/EU Debate – PPUK: “We will not benefit from antagonising neighbours”
vom January 25, 2013 geschrieben von Dominic Guhl

In the debate on the future of UK and EU, PPUK Leader Loz Kaye
outlined a pirates' vision of a citizens' Europe in an interview with
PirateTimes. In his opinion, Cameron's initiative sounded threatful to
some EU members. The vision of the PPUK for Europe could push the
reforms into a complete other direction than Cameron would probably
wish. However, PPUK has withdrawn from PPEU founding process, Kaye
said in the interview.

http://piratetimes.net/ukeu-debate-ppuk-we-will-not-benefit-from-antagonising-neighbours/

Thank you for reading our newsletter. If you for some reason do not<br />
want anymore newsletters you can unsubscribe [1] from our newsletter.<br />
We always appreciate feedback for improving Pirate Times. If you have<br />
comments, ideas or tips on news we would love to hear from you! Send a<br />
mail to: contact at piratetimes.net<br />
Links:<br />