[Pirate Times Newsletter] The sixteenth edition

A pirate newsletter with global news piratetimes at lists.pp-international.net
Sun Sep 1 21:11:29 CEST 2013

===== Edition 16 =====
September 1, 2013

Welcome to the summary of recent Pirate Times news! Unfortunately the<br />
person previously responsible for sending out these summaries had to<br />
leave Pirate Times. With the summer vacations and low activity over<br />
all we managed to miss sending out these summaries the past three<br />
months. We are now back to regularly sending them out though. Here<br />
comes a GIANT news summary spanning many news. I recommend the PDF so<br />
you can print it out and read it calmly http://piratetimes.net/wp-uploads/news/2013/09/edition16.pdf  Some of the main<br />
events is the continued development of PPEU, which will help unite<br />
European Pirate Parties, is moving along smoothly. The Youth Pirate<br />
Parties have already managed to form an international collaboration<br />
called YPE. Icelandic  Pirates recently formed a youth Pirate Party<br />
and plan to join as well. Brazilian activity is increasing and they<br />
are looking to gather 500.000 signatures to officially form their<br />
party. We write about how the Happy Birthday song was stolen from us<br />
and a little later we write about Pirate Times celebrating our first<br />
birthday. One of our most well read articles we have published<br />
explains how recent law changes make Internet piracy similar to<br />
torture in Spain. Thanks for reading and please help by spreading the<br />
news you find interesting to your friends. Thanks, Josef (on behalf of<br />
Pirate Times)

=== Contents ===

Internet and Social Media as Tools of Freedom
Amidst #Prism and #Tempora Scandals, German Pirates Get Their Groove Back
Prism: Who should we trust?
Interview with a Turkish Pirate about the Protests in #gezipark
Ed Snowden’s bid for Asylum – Live Updates
How a Swarm of Pirates Can Redefine Politics According to Rick Falkvinge
UK Pirates to decide PPUK’s international direction
Privatisation of Security and the Loss of Liberty
GREEK PUBLIC RADIO & TV PIRATE BROADCASTS
Happy Birthday was Stolen From Us
Flattr Appreciation During May Euro 20.49
Pirates Rally to Support Whistle-blower Edward Snowden
P-review 3-9 June 2013 with Videos and Podcasts
Network Neutrality – What it is and where is it going?
What is the European Data Protection Regulation?
Ukraine Pirate Party hit by Spam Attack
Crypto Currency: A Funding Method for PPGR
The European Manifesto Of The German Pirate Party
Quiz for May 2013 – Win Marina Weisband’s Book
According to Spanish Law, internet piracy is the same as torture
Austria Invites International Pirates to their General Assembly
History In The Making: First Ever Pirate Unionist Elected In Athens
Introduction of the Pirate Party of South Korea
PIRATES OF DENMARK KEEPERS OF TRANSPARENCY
Swedish Pirates Want to Send Minister of Justice to Mars
Copyright Preventing Public Statue from Appearing in Media
Young Pirates of Sweden to Hire “Election Admiral”
Digital Goods as a Public Good
What is the TPP? (The Big Brother of ACTA Explained)
Iceland’s Parliament Viewer, Keeping Track of Politicians
Icelandic Pirates Found a Youth Wing
Here Comes the European Pirate Party
Happy Birthday Pirate Times! 1 Year of Pirate News
An Open Letter From Pirate Party Brazil About Their Progress
Flattr Appreciation During July Euro 7.75
Young Pirates of Europe Has Been Founded
What is a Surveillance State and is it Good For You?
The Game of Politics : Book Review
UK Prime Minister calls for further Web Blocking
Russian Pirates Battle Piracy Laws
The Pirate Party UK Will Remain an Ordinary Member of Pirate Parties International
A Pirate’s Monologue on Change
Luxembourgish government fell apart, re-elections in October

Internet and Social Media as Tools of Freedom
from July 3, 2013 written by Josef Ohlsson Collentine

On 18 June 2013 a joint conference titled  "Internet and Social Media
as Tools of Freedom" was organized by MEPs Pawel Zalewski [1] (EPP)
and Amelia Andersdotter [2] (Greens/EFA). The aim of the conference
was to discuss the role of the Internet and social media in
revolutions for building civil societies. The conference was held as a
two hour panel debate with the help of several invited guests: Lina
Ben Mhenni [3] (Tunisian blogger), Gürkan Özturan [4]  (Turkish
blogger), Katarzyna Szymielewicz [5] (President od Panoptykon
Foundation [6]) and Jarosław Lipszyc [7] (President of Nowoczesna
Polska Foundation [8]).

  | The use of technical tools to spread ideas is anything but new.
  | The internet is just the latest, most complex and efficient way of
  | transmitting information and providing access to conversations: it
  | creates shared awareness. The ability of the Internet and social
  | media to serve as spaces for discussion is crucial – this is how
  | civil society and political opinions are formed. This strengthens
  | the public sphere, grants more opportunities to engage in public
  | speech and enables citizens to undertake collective action. In
  | addition, the coordinating role of social media cannot be
  | overestimated. Using Twitter and Facebook protesters can organize
  | in an easy way that does not require any formal organizations,
  | that helps to save time, and does not involve big funds. The
  | conference will focus on recent events in Turkey, the revolution
  | in Tunisia that was part of the Arab Spring and on mass protests
  | against ACTA in Poland. All of these events have one thing in
  | common – their participants: unhappy with their government’s
  | actions they have decided to act and are using the internet to
  | organize themselves.

 The panel debate took place inside the European Parliament with a
 room full of interested listeners. Some people also followed the
 debate via the live-stream provided.  I you want to watch it
 yourself, a recording of the stream [9] is available, or you can keep
 reading the summary below. Pawel Zalewski started off the conference
 with an opening speech that showed his understanding for both the
 powers and weaknesses that Internet can provide. He stressed that the
 Internet and social media are not what causes revolutions, but merely
 helpful tools.

  | Internet is a tool for freedom. We must not give up our freedoms,
  | even if many of the people trying to control the Internet often do
  | it with good intentions.

  The panel debate was organized in a manner where each of the invited
  guests got an opportunity to speak about their situations and how
  the Internet and social media has been used. Between the speeches,
  Amelia and Pawel took turns giving a few comments and introducing
  the next speaker. After the speeches a short time was allotted for
  questions (which unfortunately was limited to the attendees present,
  excluding the questions that came over social media).

!! Lina Ben Mhenni !!

 The first invited guest was the Tunisian blogger Lina Ben Mhenni who
 talked about the importance of social media for mobilizing people and
 how crucial they were for communicating with the rest of the world.
 Journalists were not allowed in Tunisia to investigate so they had to
 rely on Skype and other tools for their news stories.

  | The role of internet has been exaggerated, the most important role
  | is played on the ground.

 Lina has an ambivalent view on Internet. She mentioned that Ben Ali
 (their former president) was gone but that the entire system was
 still in place, creating a need for Internet as a tool of attention.
 She also stressed that it is not enough and that traditional media
 are still needed to reach people and get attention from abroad to
 spread news of what is currently happening in Tunisia. The bloggers
 in Tunisia have freedom of speech and can express what they want but
 they take a big risk doing so, the line between what is ok and what
 crosses the line being very diffuse. Recently a rap singer was
 sentenced to 2 years in prison for insulting a police officer in his
 song that was uploaded on Internet. She mentioned that journalists
 and bloggers were often abused and that every week trials against
 them take place in Tunisia. Lina brought up that Internet and social
 media have lost efficiency because they are well used for propaganda
 in Tunisa now. Many political parties make use of them by employing
 "twisters of truth" to spread propaganda that makes extremist parties
 become "moderate parties" and other false informations. The persons
 employed to "twist the truth"not easy to fight,as  non-paid freedom
 fighters have often lack time to face the defamation campaigns and
 other tricks used. Internet is not only a tool for freedom in Tunisia
 anymore. Lina ended her speech by saying that

  | The revolution is still going on. We need your help, we need your
  | attention still.

 Before introducing the next speaker, Amelia took the opportunity to
 reflect over what Lina had said and mentioned that: "When we talk
 about Tunisia here in Europe, we are more talking about the role it
 has for informing us than it does for mobilizing inside the country".

!! Gürkan Özturan !!

 The second guest to speak was the Turkish blogger Gürkan who decided
 to focus on the oppression, by the Turkish government, of free
 speech. He opened up by mentioning that Turkey was the 154th country
 in the world for freedom of the press. When news emerge, the Turkish
 journalists normally keep silent until the "official" version about
 the events is released from the government, which they can comment on
 in their articles. The Turkish government takes a very defensive
 approach calling unwanted events "terrorist actions" and telling the
 reporters that they promote terrorism if they report them. Newspapers
 that report  things the government does not like are often asked to
 fire the editors responsible or at least "keep them on tighter
 control". The media bosses often have investments in various other
 sectors of the economy. This creates a reliance on government support
 in these sectors to maintain their profits, essentially making them
 very reliant on the good will of the government. Independent
 journalism exists but has had a hard time of sustaining itself for
 longer periods of time. Besides the pressure the government puts on
 newspapers, they also "twist the truth" in other ways. One way is by
 reversing film footage, for example instead of showing protesters
 backing defending themselves from police it is made to look like
 the protesters are the aggressive ones attacking the police. Much
 criticism has also been directed towards local affiliates of
 international news services in the country, e.g. CNN Turkey, who was
 broadcasting penguin documentaries, whilst the protests where raging
 on the streets. Gürkan said that "[p]eople need to be triggered and
 see SM as a last resort for social uprising and sharing to take
 place". Now that many of the protests are being organized through
 social media the prime minister called social media for "evil and
 misguiding". The government is aware of the influence that social
 media has and sends e-mails to accounts with many followers offering
 them big money if they sell their accounts. Gürkan ends with saying
 that:

  | Big Brother should be aware of the little siblings.

!! Katarzyna Szymielewicz !!

 Next up was Katarzyna who is working to "translate" the protests into
 political change through policies for politicians. Pawel mentioned
 that Poland was not fighting directly for democracy but towards the
 access of culture, freedom of expression and to maintain a free
 internet. He asked the next two speakers what could be done to
 "maintain free internet in democratic societies". Katarzyna brought
 up the point that they fought for "some kind of understanding for
 internet freedom" and mentioned that they were fortunate in Poland
 having politicians who listen to concerns. Just like Lina she
 brought up the point that internet is not fundamentally for good but
 can also be used against democracy. Some methods are to use fake
 pictures, altered messages and other manipulations in social media.
 Katarzyna also mentions that it is also a tool that almost always
 leaves traces of information behind, thus making it a great tool for
 surveillance. The Internet can also be a tool that sells our privacy,
 through the big corporations to  whom we entrust sensitive or
 personal information. Katarzyna asks how we can use Internet and move
 towards a more positive use. Laws don't always work (e.g. PRISM) and
 more safeguards are needed. Katarzyna also sees a big failure of a
 use social media that is normally referred to as "click-tivism"
 (digital activists clicking like but not doing anything to change the
 situation). She ends her speech by bringing up that the "big
 challenge is translating what we do online to real politics".
 Translators are needed to transform these protests into a language
 understandable for mainstream media and politics.

  | Everyone should find their own part where they can help.

!! Jarosław Lipszyc !!

 Jarowslaw started off by going back in time, describing how he got
 access to his first e-mail address in 1993 by illegal means
 (bribing a server admin to create a fake account for him). Having
 access to IRC and an e-mail gave him an enormous empowerment, he
 felt he had access to the entire world. When looking back Jaroslaw
 mentions some important changes that happened with the Internet over
 time. In the beginning, people fully controlled their tools (e.g.
 e-mail server on home computer) while they lost much of this power
 today (e.g. smart-phone with built in app-store controlling what you
 can install).

  | We do not control the internet. We do not control these tools. The
  | powers we are given, only work as long as the tools we rely on
  | work (e.g. twitter)

 Internet was created as a distributed communication tool, a method
 towards redundancy for the government if their communication was
 attacked during war times. Jaroslaw puts emphasis on that the
 Internet was not created as a tool for control and surveillance. He
 says that it was "designed to be a tool in hands of the people"
 [_Editors note_: I believe this empowerment of people was more a
 side-consequence of the original use the military had for it than its
 original purpose]. The people have lost a lot of power and currently
 more of it is transferred to "the cloud". A lot of our control has
 been given away to big companies such as Amazon, Apple, Facebook and
 Twitter. These companies are looking for revenue sources, making us
 the products and the advertisers the clients of our data. We sold our
 control "for a bunch of PHP scripts because it's the easier way". One
 way of getting our machines back is through the help of free
 software. The question about free infrastructure is much harder since
 we never had control over this. Legal and technical reasons will stop
 the people controlling the cables from disappearing and will ensure
 our continued dependence on them for this.

  | We do not only need to defend our rights, we need to start and
  | build the tools.

!!  [10] !!

!! Discussion !!

 After each guest had talked, the room was opened up to questions and
 more general remarks from the panel [_editors note_: unfortunately I
 was not fully present so only caught parts of this final discussion].
 Pawel started off by saying that it was "completely against human
 rights to control who shares information, experiences and emotions".
 He continued by saying:

  | Internet should belong to us, we shouldn't only be a subject to
  | companies, the public area should belong to us. Therefore it
  | should be framed in the way that for example culture is not only a
  | matter of trade. We should think over, again, the internet zone.

 A question from the audience followed asking what role the EU could
 play in helping countries reach more democracy. Lina said that EU
 needs to support the people more instead of the regimes (something
 that is very hard to do in a political environment). Gürkan
 mentioned that ever since Turkey applied for EU membership people
 have learnt more about civil liberties and it is much thanks to EU
 that Turkey is experiencing this revolution. Pawel follows up this by
 saying that a broader opening into EU for countries could stimulate
 progress in a similar way as in Turkey. Amelia continues by answering
 a question about internet in the role of the "commercial sector". She
 says there is a disrepancy between "what we do here and the
 commercial sector". Amelia also says that we need to think more about
 values we want in society instead of the "sales pitches" from various
 commercial interests that come in.

  | Internet is not like roads anymore, more like water. It's critical
  | infrastructure in our society that we rely on for every action.
  | e.g. going for coffee, we need to make an appointment and we need
  | to pay - Jaroslaw

 Jaroslaw continues and says that internet is "too important to just
 leave to the commercial sector". He says that we need to protect
 ourselves from lobbying and Katarzyna agrees by mentioning that
 citizens don't have money for lobbyists, only their represented
 electorates that they have put trust in.

  | Politicians can never ignore lobbyists. We politicians are
  | lobbyists as well. - Katarzyna

 Jaroslaw concluded by mentioning some things that we can do in future
 to improve the situation. We should teach kids how to cipher e-mails.
 We don't need better tools right now, just more knowledge about
 encryption to ensure our privacy. The importance of network
 neutrality has to be enforced.  Images: featured pic = CC-BY Noure
 Azadi // television = CC-BY Mark Gstohl // rebel = CC-BY Surian
 Soosay

Links:
------
[1] http://www.pawelzalewski.eu/en/about-me.html
[2] http://ameliaandersdotter.eu/about-amelia?language=en
[3] http://atunisiangirl.blogspot.mx/
[4] http://radicaldemocrat.blog.com/
[5] http://panoptykon.org/ludzie
[6] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panoptykon_Foundation
[7] http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarosław_Lipszyc
[8] http://nowoczesnapolska.org.pl/
[9] http://greenmediabox.eu/archive/2013/06/18/internet-and-social-media-as-tools-of-freedom/
[10] http://piratetimes.net/

http://piratetimes.net/internet-and-social-media-as-tools-of-freedom/
Amidst #Prism and #Tempora Scandals, German Pirates Get Their Groove Back
from June 26, 2013 written by Felicitas Steinhoff

After a year of internal discord and coordinated work to broaden their
political platform, the German Pirates are now focusing on campaigning
for the federal election this coming 22 September 2013. Critical media
reports have voiced dismay over the lack of internal organization, as
well as the very public „shitstorms“ on twitter and other media.
Both of these factors have resulted last year's hype, during which the
Pirate Party Germany polled as high as 12% nation-wide, to collapse,
leaving the polls stagnant between 2-4%.

http://piratetimes.net/german-pirates-prism-tempora/
Prism: Who should we trust?
from June 25, 2013 written by Guest Author

As odd as it may seem, I agree with the various statements that have
been made over the last few days that the UK has some incredibly
robust and sensible rules when it comes to intelligence gathering.  Of
course I would like to see some tightening up, especially in terms of
who has access and who should be permitted to authorise surveillance -
and that this has to be adhered to

http://piratetimes.net/prism-who-should-we-trust/
Interview with a Turkish Pirate about the Protests in #gezipark
from June 24, 2013 written by Andrew Reitemeyer

The recent protests in Turkey started  on 28 May 2013. The protests
were sparked by  the brutal eviction of a sit-in at Istanbul's Taksim
Gezi Park protesting at plans for the park's demolition and
replacement with a shopping mall.  Korsan Partisi Hareketi (The Pirate
Party of Turkey) was involved from the first days and we asked Şevket
Uyanık a few questions about the situation there;

http://piratetimes.net/interview-with-a-turkish-pirate-about-the-protests-in-gezipark/
Ed Snowden’s bid for Asylum – Live Updates
from June 23, 2013 written by Andrew Reitemeyer

The mainstream media is buzzing with reports that Edward Snowden has
left Hong Kong for an undisclosed destination. We know he is heading
to Moscow and then probably on to Iceland via Norway. The Pirate
Times is in contact with Pirates in Norway and Iceland and will keep
you informed as much as we can. This page will be updated with more
news as it comes in. all times are in CEST Central European Summer
Time  02 July 2013 07:45 CNN Reports that Edward Snowden has applied
for asylum in 19 further countries and the Pirate Party of North Rhine
Westfalia has asked for him to be awarded Germany's highest medal. 01
July 2013 18:55 The New York Times reports that Edward Snowden has
applied for asylum in Russia.  Thursday 27 June 20:13 16:25 Ecuador
has issued a safe pass to Edward Snowden that will allow him to travel
to that country for the purpose of seeking asylum. This is according
to Univision (in Spanish)  and the pass can be seen here (English
and Spanish). 17:36  RT live Russian President Putin says that
Edward Snowden is still in the transit lounge and a free man. 11:30
Russian Foreign Minister states that Edward Snowden has not crossed
into Russian Territory acccording to RT live. So that could mean he
either never left the transit area at the airport or never arrived at
the airport at all. Tuesday 25 June 20:15 No confirmed reports as to
Edward Snowden's whereabouts but Pirates have been putting up smoke
screens. Some online threads have been encouraging Pirates and other
supporters to go to their local international airport with flags and
banners welcoming Edward Snowden. 22:20 The Nordic Page Norway edition
says that PPNO claimed Snowden passed through Norway last night as
planned (see below). Was Ecuador a double bluff or still his ultimate
goal?  Wikileaks reports he is still safe and that is what counts.
19:30 RT live reports that Ecuador has granted travel documents to
Edward Snowden 14:45 Ecuadorian Ambassador in Vietnam states confirms
that Edward Snowden has requested asylum and mentions that the USA
often refused to extradite criminals including bankers. 13:10 24 June
2013 A plane bound for Cuba with a booking for Snowden and another
person has left Moscow but with Ed Snowden apparently not on board
according to Russian Television English Service 22:30 it would seem
that the booking to Iceland was a ruse but we can only be sure once he
has arrived in the land of choice. 18:55  CNN reports Ecuador says it
has received an asylum request from Edward Snowden Now reversing the
order of the  updates - latest now at the top
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
14:20  PPNO reports that a plane carrying Edward Snowden is expected
to land in Gardermoen airport Oslo, Norway at 19:25 . Pirates will be
at the airport to express their support as will the Norwegian national
press. The plane will depart the airport at 21:55 .  15:50:
Journalists are  tweeting that Snowden was met  by
a Venezuelan diplomat at Moscow airport. This would mean that
rumours that he is headed to Cuba and then Venezuela are correct. The
fact that many differing stories are being circulated  is
understandable.   We will not know the full truth until he is in
safety. 15:55 Others are reporting the diplomats meeting Ed Snowden
are from Ecuador,  among them Anonymous @Youranonnews- which makes it
more believable. Misinformation abounds. 17:15 here is the text of a
long tweet sent by Birgitta Jónsdóttir a Captain of the Icelandic
Pirate Party Is it an option for Edward Snowden to seek shelter in
Iceland?  Is it an option for Edward Snowden to seek shelter in
Iceland? When it was brought to my attention that Snowden was looking
to Iceland for political asylum, I offered to help figure out the
legal options for such a request. These are my findings: Snowden
should not come to Iceland unless he will request and be granted
citizenship by the Icelandic Parliament. Citizenship is the only legal
protection that will shelter him from any demands of extradition to
the USA. The ideal situation would be for Snowden to be granted a
Icelandic passport as was the case with Bobby Fischer. Seeking
political asylum is a process that can take long time, and there are
no guarantees granted against extradition while the process is
ongoing. However since Snowden faces possible death sentence his case
is stronger, for it is illegal to extradite a person who faces death
sentence from Iceland. It is important to note that Iceland has a
terrible track record when it comes to granting political asylum to
people seeking shelter, as it is hardly never granted and thus a too
dangerous path to be recommended for Snowden. The new Interior
minister, Hanna Birna Kristjánsdóttir, has been very stern in her
statements announcing that Snowden will not get any sort of special
treatment for the Minister fears that if he will be granted asylum,
Iceland might have to show humanitarianism in action by transforming
its poor treatment towards asylum seekers who seek shelter in Iceland.
I was hoping that the new Prime Minster, Sigmundur Davíð
Gunnlaugsson, would take the same leadership in this case as a former
PM did in the case of Bobby Fischer, for it was a political decision
to grant the Chess Master Icelandic citizenship and Icelandic passport
while Fischer was in prison in Japan waiting to be extradited to the
USA for playing chess in the wrong country. It is still not too late
to show such leadership. It is important to note that there has not
been any formal requests for asylum from Snowden to the Icelandic
government and thus impossible for them to respond with affirmative
answer until such a request has been received. I've heard as I am
writing this that there are other countries that have offered to
shelter this brave whistleblower. Snowden has done service to all of
humanity by bringing to the public domain information that truly
belongs there. It is ironic that Snowden is to be charged for spying
by blowing the whistle on the fact that NSA is spying on everyone with
much deeper probing into our personal lives then even Stasi could do.
I am sorry that Iceland might not be an option. It would have made me
exceptionally proud if it was. The war on whistleblowers needs to
stop. I see Manning, Brown, Hammond and so many others as political
prisoners of the information revolution. If extradited to the USA, on
the charges of espionage, Snowden’s fate might be death sentence. By
not sheltering him those who reject to help him might have blood on
their hands. With Rebellious Joy Birgitta Jonsdottir Poetician & a
member of the Icelandic Parliament for the Pirate Party, Chairperson
of the International Modern Media Institution (IMMI)
http://birgitta.is http://immi.is   Featured image: CC BY  See-ming
Lee 李思明 SML

http://piratetimes.net/ed-snowdens-bid-for-asylum-live-updates/
How a Swarm of Pirates Can Redefine Politics According to Rick Falkvinge
from June 21, 2013 written by Stathis Leivaditis

In his coming book "Swarmwise: The tactical manual to changing the
world ", published serially on his website before its release in July
(when it will become available to download from The Pirate Bay), Rick
describes his experience of managing a swarm of people with the least
possible bureaucracy and how they managed to attract, like bees, more
than 225,000 voters to secure two Pirates in the European Parliament,
Amelia Andersdotter and Christian Engstrom.

http://piratetimes.net/swarmwise/
UK Pirates to decide PPUK’s international direction
from June 20, 2013 written by Guest Author

Pirate Party UK is currently an ordinary member of Pirate Parties
International (PPI) but it will be asking its membership whether it
should stay a member, become an observer or leave.

http://piratetimes.net/ppuk-ppi/
Privatisation of Security and the Loss of Liberty
from June 19, 2013 written by Luka Dujmovic

In the last few days several people have given their view about the
mass-spying scandal revealed by whistle-blower and former 'Booz
Allen Hamilton' employee Edward Snowden. Although his true motive can
be questioned, the fact is that Snowden's actions revealed the
existence of a government and corporation spy apparatus operating on a
global scale, only envisioned in dystopian near-future movies and
literature until recently. This is something that Pirate Parties and
other digital rights and freedom activists have been warning about for
years. Governments and corporations now have more personal information
about us freely available than ever before in history. In fact, the
amount of information is so overwhelming that the NSA [1] is currently
building a massive new $2 billion data centre in the state of Utah,
capable of intercepting, processing, deciphering and analysing a large
swath of the world's data flow. But ultimately, governments and their
spy agencies are accountable to the public, the Constitution, the
People and their representatives. The whole principle of
representative democracy rests on the foundations
of individual rights and freedoms,  accountability, transparency
checks and balances that can limit the abuse of power. Even if it
often seems like wishful thinking, those principles are what's keeping
democratic governments in line. On the other hand, corporations are
only accountable to their stakeholders. That is a legitimate
principle, but completely contrary to those of representative
democracy. There is a constant trend of upgrading and widening of
"national security" systems, especially since the "War on Terror" was
declared all over the world. Among these trends is also the
outsourcing of security services to private corporations who almost
exclusively depend on government contracts, one of them is Booz Allen
Hamilton. On their web page it is stated they are "a leading provider
of management and technology consulting services to the US government
in defence intelligence and civil markets". In other words, they are
a privately owned spy agency with access to top secret government
intelligence, which from what we have seen from the
latest revelations includes swathes of personal information about US
and other citizens across the world. They are not the only ones by
far, but are currently in the focus of the public eye due to Edward
Snowden being their employee. As Pirates have been warning for years,
these kind of actions ultimately lead to the erosion of democracy and
a steady path of complete loss of liberty and total surveillance. They
also completely negate the principle of the openness of the Internet
and Network Neutrality, as well as the loss of public trust. As The
Guardian\'s [2] Jeff Jarvis says:

  | "If governments use this event as an excuse to exercise more
  | oversight and control over the net, will that not then, in turn,
  | reduce citizens' trust in the net and their freedom using it?
  | Governments present themselves as the protector of our privacy,
  | but as the NSA story demonstrates, governments present the
  | greatest threat to our privacy as they have the means both to
  | monitor us and to use our information against us."

 When combining the government's capability to easily intrude upon
 your basic rights as a citizen and the profit seeking corporate
 "intelligence consulting" sector, you get a deadly combination that
 is out of the public's reach and control. It also negates the basic
 principles of representative democracy;  individual rights and
 freedoms, accountability, transparency checks and balances that limit
 the abuse of power. That's why there is a need to extend those
 constitutional rights and freedoms to the digital realm which is
 getting more and more intertwined with reality every day. Without the
 Free and Open Internet there can not be a true participatory
 democracy, "we Pirates will therefore defend the freedom of the
 internet with fierce determination at the European level as well as
 on a global scale." (The European Manifesto of the German Pirate
 Party [3]) Featured picture: CC-BY-NC, Steve Rhodes

Links:
------
[1] http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/
[2] http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jun/17/chilling-effect-nsa-surveillance-internet
[3] http://piratetimes.net/the-european-manifesto-of-the-german-pirate-party/

http://piratetimes.net/privatisation-of-security-and-the-loss-of-liberty/
GREEK PUBLIC RADIO & TV PIRATE BROADCASTS
from June 18, 2013 written by Stathis Leivaditis

The sudden shut-down of ERT, the public radio and television in Greece
and a founding member of EBU (Euopean Broadcasting Union), by the
Greek government with black screens in its frequencies on TV sets,
outrageous in the journalistic times, caused public outcry inside and
outside the country.

http://piratetimes.net/greek-public-radio-tv-pirate-broadcasts/
Happy Birthday was Stolen From Us
from June 16, 2013 written by Andrew Reitemeyer

According to Boingboing.net a film production company "Good Morning To
You Productions Corp" is suing Warner/Chappell Music for charging
copyright on the most sung song in the world - "Happy Birthday to
You".

http://piratetimes.net/happy-birthday-was-stolen-from-us/
Flattr Appreciation During May Euro 20.49
from June 12, 2013 written by Josef Ohlsson Collentine

In May we had 41 things flattred by 15 unique users. In total we were
flattred 81 times last month and received Euro 20.49 in support for
our work.

http://piratetimes.net/flattr_may_2013/
Pirates Rally to Support Whistle-blower Edward Snowden
from June 11, 2013 written by Andrew Reitemeyer

In a video interview Edward simply stated that he did not want to live
in a world where everything he does or says is recorded. US foes,
allies and even its own citizens are now the victims of an espionage
network that spans the globe and from whom no one is safe.

http://piratetimes.net/ed-snowden/
P-review 3-9 June 2013 with Videos and Podcasts
from June 10, 2013 written by Andrew Reitemeyer

A regular review of some things that happened in the previous week and
a preview of some events coming in the week ahead and a list of videos
and podcasts that were published in the last week that are relevant to
the World Pirate movement and are in English.

http://piratetimes.net/p-review-3-9-june-2013-with-videos-and-podcasts/
Network Neutrality – What it is and where is it going?
from June 9, 2013 written by Luka Dujmovic

Network Neutrality is a term often mentioned, but yet differently
defined depending on the point of view of the person or organisation
defining it. In fact, it has become one of the most widely used terms
when talking about the Internet today.

http://piratetimes.net/network-neutrality-what-it-is-and-where-is-it-going/
What is the European Data Protection Regulation?
from June 7, 2013 written by Josef Ohlsson Collentine

When personal data is moved between different countries it makes it
hard for citizens to have the right to protect and have some control
over their personal information. The different registers, differing
between countries, make it very hard for citizens, as well as
companies trying to act in several countries, to keep track and
control their information. Currently the European Parliament are
discussing an attempt to harmonize data protection across the European
Union.

http://piratetimes.net/what-is-the-european-data-protection-regulation/
Ukraine Pirate Party hit by Spam Attack
from June 6, 2013 written by Andrew Reitemeyer

Last month the Ukrainian Pirate Party came under attack. How they
reacted  and coped can show other Pirate Parties what to do in such
cases.

http://piratetimes.net/ukraine-pirate-party-hit-by-spam-attack/
Crypto Currency: A Funding Method for PPGR
from June 5, 2013 written by Stathis Leivaditis

Do you leave your computer on at nights or is it on only when you’re
using it? Whatever your answer is, you can digitally dig like a pirate
and find a real treasure! Actually not only you but your friends or a
team that you are involved or even a party can get funding by mining
for “Litecoin”  digital currency.

http://piratetimes.net/crypto-currency-a-funding-method-for-ppgr/
The European Manifesto Of The German Pirate Party
from June 4, 2013 written by Patrick Schiffer

The so called “Six Pack” of Reforms for Europe includes a lot of
points, accepted by the general assembly of the German Pirate Party.
more citizen participation and rights for the European Parliament, a
Marshall plan to deal with Europe’s economic crisis, energy
generation that should be decentralized, access to a net-neutral
internet should be guaranteed and Creative Content licenses promoted.
The concept of a “Fortress Europe” and the agency FRONTEX should
be abandoned.

http://piratetimes.net/the-european-manifesto-of-the-german-pirate-party/
Quiz for May 2013 – Win Marina Weisband’s Book
from June 3, 2013 written by Andrew Reitemeyer

The Pirate Times Quiz for May 2013 Win a signed copy of Marina
Weisband's Book "Wir Nennen es Politik"

http://piratetimes.net/quiz-for-may-2013-win-marina-weisbands-book/
According to Spanish Law, internet piracy is the same as torture
from June 2, 2013 written by Fabián Plaza Miranda

In the last days, the rough draft of the new Spanish Criminal Code
-prepared by the right-wing People's Party, which currently has an
absolute majority in the Congress- has been leaked. It contains many
disturbing aspects, such as the criminalization of several forms of
peaceful protesting –however, one of the most debated topics has
been its treatment of internet piracy.

http://piratetimes.net/according-to-spanish-law-internet-piracy-is-the-same-as-torture/
Austria Invites International Pirates to their General Assembly
from June 1, 2013 written by Andrew Reitemeyer

Over the weekend  of 21-23 June 2013 the Austrian Pirate Party will be
holding its General Assembly in the ancient and picturesque city of
Sankt Pölten found in the State of Lower Austria which itself is in
the north east of the country.  They are especially keen to see
Pirates from other countries there as this will help  impress on the
minds of the Austrian voters that the Pirate Movement is an
international one.

http://piratetimes.net/austria-invites-international-pirates-to-their-general-assembly/
History In The Making: First Ever Pirate Unionist Elected In Athens
from May 31, 2013 written by Stathis Leivaditis

Athens teachers ballot "Pirates in Education"  managed to get one out
of nine seats, changing the "status quo" of the Greek Teachers
Federation (DOE)  and sending the first ever Pirate unionist to their
body of representatives. By the time when this article was written it
is not clear yet who of the three candidates (Thanasis Gounaris,
Markos Papaioannou , or Electra Pagoni) would take the seat but this
is  the first election worldwide that sees a Pirate unionist elected
to a top position running as a Pirate.

http://piratetimes.net/history-in-the-making-first-ever-pirate-unionist-elected-in-athens/
Introduction of the Pirate Party of South Korea
from May 30, 2013 written by Daniel Ebbert

Back at the general assembly of the Pirate Party International in
Kazan on 20/21 op april the PPI accepted new ordinary members. One of
them is the Pirate Party of South Korea, which we will introduce to
you. Therefore we interviewed their founder Gyung Chan Lee about their
current situation.

http://piratetimes.net/introduction-of-the-pirate-party-of-south-korea/
PIRATES OF DENMARK KEEPERS OF TRANSPARENCY
from May 28, 2013 written by Stathis Leivaditis

While Denmark is well known for the openness of its society, Danish
government has revolutionized protests by intending to change the law
of the Freedom of Information and to restrict access to government
documents. Under the proposal that Minister of Justice has brought to
the parliament a lot of documents characterized as 'political
advisory' would not be available to the media.

http://piratetimes.net/pirates-of-denmark-keepers-of-transparency/
Swedish Pirates Want to Send Minister of Justice to Mars
from August 29, 2013 written by Anton Nordenfur

*The Young Pirates of Sweden has nominated the Swedish Minister of
Justice, Beatrice Ask, to the Mars One project. They now hope that she
will accept the nomination and leave Earth and politics behind her.*
The not-for-profit organisation Mars One [1] made great waves in media
earlier this year when they started taking applications to create the
first human settlement on Mars in 2023. 165 000 [2] people have since
applied for a one way ticket - most of them for their interest in
science and exploration, but the Pirates have now nominated Beatrice
Ask for a completely different reason. [caption id="attachment_26955"
align="alignleft" width="300"] [3] Minister of Justice Beatrice Ask.
CC BY Anders Henrikson [4].[/caption] "We want to send the Minister of
Justice to Mars since she has systematically dismantled the legal
security in Sweden", said Young Pirates of Sweden president Gustav
Nipe to Nyheter24 [5]. "We think it would be the best for all parties
if she moved to another planet." Beatrice Ask is unpopular for Swedish
Pirates for many reasons, including supporting the FRA law [6] in 2008
which introduced a mass surveillance of all communication passing
through Swedish borders. She is frequently the target of criticism,
and the Swedish Pirate Party has previously commanded her resignation
[7], but these are the largest measures asked for yet. The Young
Pirates are now hoping that she will accept the nomination, fully
aware that it could mean hard training and having to give up her
political responsibilities. But they also wish to increase focus on
space exploration overall. "Man is curious and wish to discover new
things", Nipe told Pirate Times. "By traveling into space we can take
humanity on the coolest trip ever. Sadly, less is spent on space
today, partly because the US aren't making the same investments they
used to. When the cold war ended there was no longer a reason for a
space race. Therefore, it is important for Europe to take the lead."
Beatrice Ask has been contacted by Pirate Times, but has yet to
comment on the nomination. Featured image by NASA, in the public
domain.

Links:
------
[1] http://www.mars-one.com/en/
[2] http://www.mars-one.com/en/mars-one-news/press-releases/11-news/495-deadline-approaching-ten-days-remain-to-join-aspiring-martians-from-140-countries
[3] http://piratetimes.net/wp-uploads/news/2013/08/9131761694_6a3c9be6da_o.jpg
[4] http://www.flickr.com/photos/82700604@N02/9131761694/
[5] http://nyheter24.se/nyheter/politik/752047-pirater-anmaler-beatrice-ask-till-marsresa
[6] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FRA_law
[7] http://press.piratpartiet.se/2010/06/10/beatrice-ask-trampar-annu-en-gang-i-det-juridiska-klaveret/

http://piratetimes.net/swedish-pirates-want-to-send-minister-of-justice-to-mars/
Copyright Preventing Public Statue from Appearing in Media
from August 28, 2013 written by Josef Ohlsson Collentine

*One of the most famous symbols for Denmark is the Little Mermaid
statue [1] outside of Copenhagen. The statue turned 100 years old last
Friday but was hardly mentioned in Danish newspapers. The reason for
the lack of coverage on this important birthday for a national symbol
was copyright problems.* Danish newspapers described [2] the copyright
problems with displaying a picture instead of focusing on more
positive aspects for the statue's 100th birthday. The problem comes
from needing the heirs permission and often paying them each time the
statue is published. If you do not apply for permission you risk that
the heirs come after you with a large fine, which has happened several
times.

  | "Every time we are about to photograph the Little Mermaid, we are
  | careful. She is the only statue that we have to act like this
  | with. Every time we approach her we ask permission from the heirs"
  | - Thomas Borberg, Photo-Chief for Politiken [3] (quote translation
  | by article author)

 Even though the Little Mermaid is such a public figure and it was
 never a problem for Edvard Eriksson (the sculptor), the heirs still
 have the right to decide what is done with the copyright of the
 figure. Laws give the heirs right to the copyright for 70 years after
 the creator has passed away. This makes the sculpture
 less accessible until 2030. Featured pic: CC-BY-SA, Pirate Times.
 Modified from original CC-BY-SA, avda-foto.

Links:
------
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Mermaid_(statue)
[2] http://politiken.dk/kultur/kunst/ECE2055937/arvingerne-til-den-lille-havfrue-spaender-ben-for-medierne/
[3] http://politiken.dk/

http://piratetimes.net/copyright-preventing-public-statue-from-appearing-in-media/
Young Pirates of Sweden to Hire “Election Admiral”
from August 27, 2013 written by Anton Nordenfur

*The Young Pirates of Sweden, the youth wing of the Swedish Pirate
Party, recently announced that they will be hiring an “Election
Admiral” for the upcoming election year of 2014.*

 Next year there will be a "super election year" in Sweden, starting
 in May with the European Parliament and followed by local, regional,
 and national elections in September. To prepare for this year, the
 Young Pirates have recently announced that they will be hiring a
 full time “Election Admiral”. The Election Admiral will be
 responsible for “leading the organisational part of the
 association’s election work”, and the job will focus on
 distributing campaign material and supporting local chapters in their
 campaigns. On their website, the organisation asks for someone who is
 “comfortable in being a leader”, “naturally communicative”,
 and who “loves delivering in time for deadlines”, among other
 things. Young Pirates are now receiving job applications through
 email until October 18, which will be followed up by interviews in
 Uppsala, where the central office is located. The position is planned
 to start February 1, 2014 and last until September 30, 2014. This
 will be the third full time position assigned by the Swedish Youth
 Pirate Party, after president Gustav Nipe and secretary Mikael Holm.
 The youth organisation has no member fee, but receives annual income
 from the Swedish Youth Agency, a grant calculated from membership
 numbers. The income of 2013 was almost 1.4 million SEK (€161 000),
 which is lower than previous years due to lower membership numbers -
 from having had over 20 000 members in 2009, they are now down to
 under 6 000 members, still making them the second largest Swedish
 political youth organisation. *Featured image:* Swedish Pirates
 campaigning in 2009. CC BY-SA Anne Kekki. [1]

Links:
------
[1] http://www.flickr.com/photos/45937564@N02/4246086474/

http://piratetimes.net/young-pirates-of-sweden-to-hire-election-admiral/
Digital Goods as a Public Good
from August 26, 2013 written by Michael Wartenbe

*The Pirate Parties have an obvious lineage from The Pirate Bay and
other forms of digital piracy, but bootlegging and sharing of media
has been going on for decades. What is it then that has changed with
the advent of digital media? Why has the concern of piracy become a
political one? The answer lies in media digitization, and thus
transformation, into a public good.*

A public good is commonly defined as one that is both non-excludable
and non-rivalrous. The importance of digital goods is media becoming
non-rivalrous—meaning one person's use of the good does not diminish
the ability of another from using it. Examples of this can be the air
we breathe or the parks we visit. Prior to the Internet our media
required some sort of medium, be it CDs or VHS tapes, in order to be
transported. While they could be copied and shared they required the
use of a physical product and could only extend so far among
acquaintances.

 Sharing online effectively makes the number of copies irrelevant;
 this is especially true for torrents where one copy is not so
 different from infinite copies. This new public good can be used
 without limit by anyone with a computer and an Internet connection.

Where the political Pirate Parties come in is in the non-excludable
side of our modern public good. This is the ability to stop a group of
people (usually those who do not pay) from using a good. This can be a
hamburger bought from a restaurant or a house lived in by a family.
These are excludable by requiring payment before receiving the product
and removing trespassers, respectively. As mentioned, media products
previously had a physical medium, which made excludability
simple—you get the product when we get the money.

 While copyright laws (excludability) are sometimes used as evidence
 that digital goods are not public goods these laws are better
 understood as a very artificial barrier, just as a gate requiring a
 ticket can be put in front of a park or a fence can be put around a
 lake. Thus, excludability is best viewed as a political decision
 rather than an inherent quality of a product. DRM and other barriers
 are attempts at creating excludability of a product in order to
 maintain the status quo. However, as any pirate can tell you, this
 forced excludability is no match for the non-rivalrousness the
 internet has created for digital goods.

!! *Historical Comparison* !!

Before moving on to the problem of digital goods and the argument in
favor of copyright laws, it will be beneficial to examine a historical
parallel with our current situation. As children we were taught about
the importance of Gutenberg's press, but being so young it was
difficult to conceptualize the revolutionary nature of his invention.
The printing press made the collective knowledge of man more available
to the average person. This drastically altered the knowledge
structure that was in place in Europe.

 Even Victor Hugo's _Hunchback of Notre Dame_ laments how the book
 destroys the building, as conveyance through architecture is no
 longer required. Knowledge became more dispersed and no longer
 required the scribes' handwriting or relied so much on the priest to
 pontificate vocally. Though illiteracy was another barrier the
 outcome was access to the collective knowledge of man—a virtual
 conception of the world's thought. Placed online this collective
 knowledge is further rectified and faces its own barriers.

What must be understood is that fear of the inevitable disruption and
attempts at maintaining the status quo are inherently ludditical. The
genie is out of the bottle and this is something we must accept. This
should not be difficult due to the benefit that advancement brings,
unless, of course, you are one who benefits from the status quo. With
the printing press we lost oral tradition, centrality of the priest,
and scribes. But we gained shared information that allowed scholars
better communication of ideas that helped fuel our technological
advancement. The internet is the printing press on steroids; it will
inevitably cause disruptions, but it will lead to even greater gains.

!! *The Problem Of Free Riders* !!

The disruption caused by internet piracy can be seen in the problem of
any public good—“free riders”. Because of the nature of a public
good, one cannot be excluded due to their lack of support of the good;
in the case of piracy of media this would be not paying for the
product. While we do not condone theft of goods we argue that the
concept of piracy must be refashioned with the facts of our time.
Copyright infringement cannot be seen as the same as theft of a
physical good, and there is little way around this. Just as books can
only be burned, piracy can only be stopped by destroying the internet
as we know it—destroying our freedom and privacy. Consequently,
China is in a much better position to stop piracy than most countries,
but we slowly creep closer to this digitally totalitarian environment.

Our current relationship to digital media cannot be undone, nor should
we want it to be. Forcing such a disruptive excludability on what
should be accepted as a public good can only be maintained at very
high costs. As a society we must find a new way to reimburse producers
of digital goods and do away with the draconian measures. This will
empower us as a community, democracy, and global society. What we all
know for certain is that the internet has changed us drastically and
should be embraced.

 Those who fight for reactionary policies must learn the history of
 the Luddites, who fought against the industrial revolution for their
 own inefficient interest. If the media industries knew as much about
 genies as they _should_ know about their own products, it is that
 they do not go back in their bottles. Featured image:
 CC-BY, photosteve101

http://piratetimes.net/digital-goods-as-a-public-good/
What is the TPP? (The Big Brother of ACTA Explained)
from August 23, 2013 written by Michael Wartenbe

Currently under negotiations is an expansion of the Trans-Pacific
Strategic Economic Partnership, a Pacific orientated trade agreement
composed of Brunei, Chile, New Zealand, and Singapore. Eight
additional prospectives have joined negotiations for membership, which
would expand the agreement to Australia, Canada, Malaysia, Mexico,
Peru, the United States, Vietnam, and possibly Japan. As suggested by
proponents, once finished the Trans-pacific Partnership (TPP) will
have implemented liberalized economic and trade policies throughout
the Pacific coastal members. As with all trade-blocs, however, there
are grave concerns over democracy, transparency, and privacy, with
intellectual Property measures mimicking and even exceeding the
notorious ACTA (Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement). Ironically the
terminology used in trade-bloc “liberalization of trade” is quite
the opposite of its use during the creation of our global liberal
system. During the Bretton Woods system (post-WWII environment) both
trade-blocs and intellectual property were more likely to be seen as
*illiberal*. Only in the past two or three decades has “liberal”
taken on new meaning. The new form provides the means to bypass
democracy domestically as well as globally and pushes nations to
protect their increasingly monopolistic Intellectual Property
industries over the concerns of individual citizens. As there is
already a global trade agreement in the World Trade Organization
(WTO), trade-blocs are a means to push through difficult policy in a
more local arena—policy even too “liberal” for the commonly
criticized WTO. Negotiated behind closed doors by bureaucrats and
sometimes industry, these agreements have a nature of being very
nontransparent and undemocratic. The TPP is no exception to this. By
placing these laws within a trade agreement, negotiations can take
place outside the public's view as was the case with the ACTA. While
the ACTA ultimately failed, its spirit still lives on, hidden under
the guise of trade partnership—a common political tactic to push
through and hide policy the public cannot swallow as well as force
politicians to accept or reject en masse with other important
legislation. [caption id="" align="alignnone" width="576"] _CC-BY-ND,
GlobalTradeWatch[/caption] As the U.S. has historically been a fierce
negotiator for its favored policies, citizens of the remaining members
will see a strengthening of IP enforcement upon completion. This
allows domestic governments to place blame outside of their state
while accepting the obligation of enforcing these decisions in a very
undemocratic manner. All states face this decrease of political
accountability, which is increased by enforcement mechanisms in the
agreements. This makes it much more difficult to undo than a domestic
law that has no international component. The permanence of these
agreements provide the need to negotiate in secrecy as there is an
urgency in pushing through law that cannot easily be undone.
Developing members of the TPP will face a maximalist interpretation of
Intellectual Property laws that are standardized throughout the
partnership, doing away with flexible and sovereign solutions that
reflect the domestic situation. TPP signatories will not, however,
simply be facing adoption of U.S. based Intellectual Property laws.
Instead, all members, including the U.S., will be agreeing upon laws
based on the ACTA, and in some cases beyond. These include:

  * Bypassing the multilateral ICANN, Country Code top-level domains
    will be placed under TPP rules, limiting the sovereignty each
    member state has on their domain (.uk, .se, .de...etc)

  * Expands scope of copyrights based on U.S. Law and further

  * Adopts U.S. Length of copyrights of 70 years after author’s
    death, 95 years after publication, or 120 years after creation.
    This goes far beyond the minimum of TRIPS of 50 years after
    publication or 50 years after creation.

  * Extends liabilities of those who facilitate copyright infringement
    as well liability of ISPs beyond both U.S. Law and the proposed
    ACTA, while limiting the freedom to make exceptions

  * Extends liabilities to ISPs and other intermediaries and provides
    incentives to ISPs to assist copyright owners in deterring
    infringers and monitoring users

  * Allows authorities to seize “suspected” counterfeit or pirated
    goods without individual identification, contrary to the U.S. 4th
    Amendment

  * Eases the process of applying for patents while making it more
    difficult to challenge

  * Expands and eases the ability to “evergreen” patents—the
    process of renewing patents by a minor alteration in the product.

  * Extends the scope of what can be patents and restricts the ability
    to revoke patents, forcing each state to allow patents for plants,
    animals, and treatment methods and limiting their ability to
    exclude subjects

  * Broadens the scope of copyright infringement

  * Prescribes both imprisonment and monetary fines beyond
    compensation of the infringement to one of deterrence, based on
    ACTA prescriptions[i]

  * Corporations will be able to sue governments based on the TPP
    rules written for corporations, thus bypassing democracy and
    sovereignty

   These are just some of the proposals that only due to a leak_, were
   available to the public. In short the TPP is a nontransparent
   agreement that greatly empowers corporations, especially the
   Intellectual Property industries, at the cost of democracy,
   sovereignty, and freedom. Even those outside the agreement are
   facing an increased expansion and acceptance of laws and norms in
   the TPP. The slow creep of trade agreements bypasses the already
   unbalanced rules from global organizations, causing greater concern
   by empowering corporations to the detriment of individuals like us.

-------------------------
[i] All prior summary of laws from Flynn, Sean et al. (2012) Public
Interest Analysis of the US TPP Proposal for an IP Chapter.
Northeastern University School of Law Research Paper No. 82-2012;
American University, WCL Research Paper No. 2012-07. Available at
SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1980173 or
http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.1980173 Featured image:
CC-BY-NC-SA, Caelie_Frampton

http://piratetimes.net/what-is-the-tpp-the-big-brother-of-acta-explained/
Iceland’s Parliament Viewer, Keeping Track of Politicians
from August 22, 2013 written by Andrew Reitemeyer

In the run up to the national election in Iceland one of the comments
about the Pirate Party was that they were keeping their electoral
promises before the elections had taken place. One of the reasons for
this was the development of the Online Parliament Viewer or
_Alþingisrýnirinn_, which is in line with the Pirate's call for
increased transparency The Online Parliament Viewer sources data from
publicly available records and presents them in a way that is easy to
understand. It shows how MPs have voted on a single bill or on the top
100 most controversial issues in the last term and it also highlights
instances where representatives have voted against their own party
line. Another feature that voters might like to know is how often
their member of parliament turned up to represent them; for that
purpose there is an attendance record. Voters can see at a glance how
often their representatives have been representing them.  [1] The
software is a gift from the Icelandic Pirate Party to the Icelandic
nation. It is open source software and as such is available to all
interested organisations to take and adapt to their own system and the
code can be found on github. The principle developer is Bjarni
Rúnar Einarsson. The description and documentation is in Icelandic
but modern translation software does a reasonable job and there are
plenty of Pirates in Iceland who would help you adapt it. Featured
image:  PPIS CC BY-SA

Links:
------
[1] http://piratetimes.net/wp-uploads/news/2013/08/mps.png

http://piratetimes.net/icelands-parliament-viewer-keeping-track-of-politicians/
Icelandic Pirates Found a Youth Wing
from August 20, 2013 written by Koen De Voegt

The Icelandic Pirates are at it again. Their party was only founded
officially on 24 November 2012 [1]. Less than half a year later they
became the first Pirate Party to get people elected in a national
parliament [2]. Now the Pirates in Iceland are taking a new step in
growing their organisation. On Sunday the 18th of August 2013 they
officially founded their youth organisation. The founding of a youth
pirate party comes only about a week after the creation of a European
umbrella organisation [3] for Pirate youth wings. This new youth
organisation is called "Ungir Piratar". Membership is open for pirates
from age 15 to 30. According to Stéfan Vignir Skarphedinsson, one of
the founding members, the age limit was not chosen because it's a
legal requirement. Rather, the Icelandic Pirates wanted to have less
than half of the members of the party to be eligible for the youth
wing. Using the usual limit of 35 years no less than 69% of the party
would be a youth member. So the age limit was set to 30 which came
down to 42% of the members. There where more than 20 Pirates present
on the first inaugural meeting, 14 of whom became the founding
members. The first board of the new organisation was elected. The new
board members are: Stefán Vignir Skarphéðinsson, Elísabet
Guðrúnar Jónsdóttir, Arnaldur Sigurðarson, Árni Þór
Þorgeirsson, Andri Harðarson. There was no president or other
functionaries elected. The board will decide the roles between
themselves. Featured image: CC-BY-NC, Andreas H. Lunde

Links:
------
[1] http://piratetimes.net/iceland-has-a-pirate-party/
[2] http://piratetimes.net/iceland-report-4-history-made-by-a-hairs-breadth/
[3] http://piratetimes.net/young-pirates-of-europe-has-been-founded/

http://piratetimes.net/icelandic-pirates-found-a-youth-wing/
Here Comes the European Pirate Party
from August 18, 2013 written by Stathis Leivaditis

At the latest conference held on 27-28 July 2013 in Warsaw, Poland the
European Pirates have finalized the preparation process for the
foundation of the European Pirate Party. The Conference of PPEU in
Warsaw, as part of the establishment of the European Pirate Party, was
the last of the Conferences that started after the Declaration of
Prague nearly one and half year ago. The work has taken place in
several other conferences (Barcelona, Manchester, Paris), meetings
(Aarau, Potsdam, Rome, Zagreb, Kiev) and countless online meeting
showing that there really is an international work force behind it.
The Warsaw conference was a success and the organization by the Pirate
Party of Poland [1] worked well. Having completed both the Manifesto
and the highlights of the Statutes, European Pirates declared their
intention to establish the “European Pirate Party” (or "European
Pirates" or "PPEU") next month in Luxembourg. European Pirate Parties
should ratify both the manifesto and the declaration by  1 September
2013. The founding Congress will then be held in March 2014 in
Brussels.   *The agenda of the Conference *      • Workshop to
finalize the Manifesto of European Pirate Party • Discussion and
final voting on the Statutes of European Pirate Party  • Weight of
the vote of each member. It was decided the number of votes of each
member to be appointed under the number of voters and electoral
successes. The system is based on the equivalent use by the European
Greens, and it is linear (not giving too many votes to the powerful
members)  • Rights of states outside the European Union. European
Pirate Party is open to members from across Europe, and there will be
no differences in rights between members within and outside the
European Union. • Membership fees (basic membership, plus customized
subscription to set by the board, multiplied by the weight of the
vote). Basic subscription was set at 300 € (multiplied by the number
of votes each member will have). The board could increase the cost of
membership in the future. • Majorities (for changing statutes 2/3 of
the attending members needed, double majority) • PPEU Committee:
number of members, election details • PPEU Council: number of
members and scope • Signing the Letter of Intent, discussion for the
next Conference   A PPEU working group, responsible for implementing
any late corrections or comments that may arise, will make contact
with all Pirate Parties that have ratified the Declaration of Paris.
This team is also responsible for answering any questions any party
might have regarding the content or the effect of the statutes. At the
end of the Conference Pirates worked on the Declaration of Warsaw, in
which Pirate Party participants declared the negotiations on the
establishment of the organization as integrated, and their intention
to establish PPEU.      *Warsaw Declaration* of the European Pirate
Party   *Letter of Intent*   We, the undersigning European Pirates,
realizing the need for a new political party in Europe,    affirming
the declaration of Prague, affirming the declaration of Paris,
taking into account the negotiations at the Barcelona conference,
taking into account the negotiations at the Manchester conference,
taking into account the negotiations at the Paris conference, taking
into account the negotiations at the Warsaw conference,   noting the
results of the meeting in Aarau, noting the results of the meeting in
Potsdam, noting the results of the meeting in Rome, noting the results
of the meeting in Zagreb, noting the results of the meeting in Kiev,
noting the results of countless online meetings,   Declare
negotiation process for the foundation of the European Pirate Party as
complete, Agree on the overall details of the structure of the
statutes for the organization as was decided on the said conferences
and meetings, State our commitment to the Manifesto as agreed upon at
the Warsaw conference, Declare our intent to join the European Pirate
Party, with regard to the ratification process that is set by
individual Parties, Agree to convene in Luxembourg to lay the
foundation of the European Pirate Party by formally adopting statutes
and Manifesto, Invite other Pirates Parties of Europe to join us in
the foundation of the European Pirate Party.  _ [2]   *European
Pirate Party Manifesto*   “We, *the European Pirates*, want society
to welcome and adjust to the digital revolution: We identify the
digital revolution as a moment of total renewal of human societies; we
recognise therefore as one of our primary goals the defence of the
Internet as a common good and a public utility” is the preamble of
the Manifesto that Pirates from across Europe endorsed in Warsaw. The
manifesto is the distillate of common points of the Statutes of
European Pirate Parties and specifically refers in Civil Rights,
Citizen participation and Open Government, Transparency, Copyright
reform, Patent system reform, Open Access and Open Data, Net
Neutrality, Free software and Libre Culture. Manifesto is compatible
with the principles of Pirate Parties in EU, and to many is a “very
successful Pirate Manifesto”.   Preamble_   We, *the European
Pirates*, want society to welcome and adjust to the digital
revolution: We identify the digital revolution as a moment of total
renewal of human societies; we recognise therefore as one of our
primary goals the defence of the Internet as a common good and a
public utility. We want a society based on the following manifesto:
_Civil Rights _   Human dignity is inviolable. Everybody has the
right to life, liberty, security of person, freedom of thought,
self-determination and participate in society. We, *the European
Pirates*, support the highest standard for civil rights in the
European Union. Essential are the rights of free association, freedom
of movement and free assembly in public, freedom of opinion,
expression, and free access to information. Whistle-blowers should be
protected by law and not subject to legal action. We strongly believe
that all people have the right to fair and equal treatment. As
everybody belongs to a minority, the respect of the rights of the
minority is essential for society. The Privacy of the individual
should be valued at all times and protected from being exploited by
public and economic actors.    _Citizen participation and Open
Government_   Power resides with the people. Their rights and their
dignity stand above all else. We, *the European Pirates*, strive to
create opportunities for democratic participation and to promote their
widespread use, because only democracy can ensure an equitable
balancing of Europeans' diverse interests.Public authorities should be
encouraged to put forward participatory and collaborative tools that
allow citizens to actively propose policies and make decisions.
_Transparency_   Transparency and Accountability for public
institutions are the counterpart of good data protection regulation to
protect Privacy. We, *the European Pirates*, want clear  transparency
in common affairs and good privacy for individuals. Public authorities
should be required to regularly publish organisational and task
descriptions, including catalogues of all administrative records.
Everybody has the right to access documents and proceedings on all
levels of government and the information available to the respective
public authorities. The respect of this right shall be controlled by a
strictly independent organ. _  _ _Copyright reform_   We, *the
European Pirates*, want a fair and balanced copyright law based on the
interests of society as a whole. We therefore demand that copying,
providing access to, storing and using literary and artistic
production for non-commercial purposes must not just be legalised, but
protected by law and actively promoted to improve the public
availability of information, knowledge and culture, because this is a
prerequisite for the social, technological and economic development of
our society. Everyone shall be able to enjoy and share our cultural
heritage free from the threat of legal action or censorship. The
commercial monopoly given by copyright should be restored to a
reasonable term. Derivative works shall always be permitted, with
exceptions which are very specifically enumerated in law with minimal
room for interpretation.   _Patent system reform_   Patents are
government-backed monopolies which are obstacles in a free market and
increasingly hinder, instead of help, innovation. Patents should
definitely never be given for things that are trivial,
non-substantial, target ideas, computer programs, business models or
are otherwise unethical. In the long term, an alternative system to
support innovation must be developed to replace patents and ensure
that the results of research come to the benefit of society.   _Open
Access and Open Data_   The results of any research carried out with
public funds, completely or in part, must be published in open access
scientific journals or by other means which make them readily
accessible to the general population. All data created for public use
or with the use of public money, regardless of origin, should be
freely available to the general public, as long as personal details
are not revealed without the consent of the concerned individuals. It
shall be made available in an appropriate form, which shall also
include a form for data processing. Access must not be limited by
application procedures, licenses, fees or technical means.   _Net
Neutrality_   Everybody should have unencumbered access to the
internet and other public information and communication networks and
have the possibility to protect all data transfer with good privacy.
To ensure this we, *the European Pirates*, advocate for a
discrimination-free Internet, which does not permit operators,
governments and other bodies to either block or prioritise certain
kinds of applications, services or contents nor limits the access
depending on the location of sender or receiver.   _Free software and
Libre Culture_   We, *the European Pirates*, support the promotion of
software that can be used, analysed, disseminated and changed by
everyone. This so-called free and libre open source software is
essential for users' control of their own technical systems and
provides a significant contribution to strengthening the autonomy and
privacy of all users. Free culture is an important resource for the
education and creativity of society. We strive to promote artistic
activity and cultural diversity to ensure a rich educational and
artistic environment for our and future generations.  Further reading:
Minutes of  Warsaw conference [3]

Links:
------
[1] http://polskapartiapiratow.pl/
[2] http://piratetimes.net/wp-uploads/news/2013/08/DSCN0499_.jpg
[3] http://eu.piratenpad.de/warsaw-2013-minutes?

http://piratetimes.net/here-comes-the-european-pirate-party/
Happy Birthday Pirate Times! 1 Year of Pirate News
from August 13, 2013 written by Josef Ohlsson Collentine

Our first news article was published here on Pirate Times one year
ago. The two first articles we published on 13 August  2012 was
“How Sweden found an effective way of broadening their politics”
and “You can participate in European politics”. Since then we
have covered most of the pirate elections that have taken place the
past year. We reported on conferences and general assemblies of
national and international Pirate Parties and organisations. We have
seen the pirate movement grow and seen several historic "firsts" for
the Pirate movement: the first Pirate Mayor [1] (Switzerland,
September 2012), the first Pirate Senator [2] (Czech Republic,
October 2012), the first three Pirate MPs [3] (Iceland, April
2013), the first two Municipal Councillors [4] (Croatia, May
2013), the first Pirate Trade Unionist [5] (Greece, May 2013). Many
of these were covered by team members who traveled to these events
at their own expense. Throughout these past 12 months we have had 25
article authors write 237 posts with a total 184.149 words. This
productivity of news led us to win the “Pirate Blogger of the
year” award, on December 2012, from the Young Pirates of East Sweden
chapter. We write news to inspire and inform others which is why we
take a lot of pride in that several of our posts are translated to
many different languages (thanks all you who have helped to translate
them!). We had around 85.000 visitors (only counting people seeing
our news directly on our website) from all over the world where about
half came from USA, Germany, Sweden, UK or Spain. From our visitors
we have been given money through flattr by 67 persons totaling 212.51
Euro from those 967 flattrs they gave us. Of that money we have spent
105 Euros [6] on various costs. Thanks a lot for your support! Means
a lot to use knowing people are willing to support our work. Our top 5
viewed articles:

  * According to Spanish law, internet piracy is the same as torture
    [7] (June 2, 2013) by Fabian Plaza Miranda (7511 pageviews)

  * The pirate world 2012 [8] (January 24, 2013) by Josef Ohlsson
    Collentine (5417 pageviews)

  * Pirate Parties Help Victims of Megaupload Seizure (February 1,
    2013) by Andrew Reitemeyer (2622 pageviews)

  * The Hydra Bay – PPSE Pulls Back But TPB Emerges in Norway and
    Spain (February 26, 2013) by Josef Ohlsson Collentine (2050
    pageviews)

  * Alex Arnold Becomes the First Elected Pirate Mayor! (September
    24, 2012) by Anton Nordenfur (1977 pageviews)

  At the end of 2012 we had a team-meeting where we set goals to reach
  at the end of 2013 for Pirate Times. We have progressed on these
  goals but will need your help to fulfill them by the end of this
  year (4.5 months remaining). The goals we want to achieve for Pirate
  Times:

  * We want to grow our team by at least six more regularly
    contributing members so we can achieve the goal of one article per
    day (If you are interested please apply by joining the mailing
    list [9] and introducing yourself).

  * 1000 readers per day

  * 333/500 newsletter [10] subscribers

  * 1323/2500 Facebook Page [11] likes

  * 1328/2500 Twitter [12] followers

  * Translate Pirate Times to French and Spanish (slow progress but
    moving forward)

  * To start a podcasting service (still in planning stages, if you
    have an interest in helping please give us a shout!)

  * To get ourselves quoted more by the main stream media (a few more
    mentions)

  We end this post with a few comments from some of our team members
  about what Pirate Times has meant for them during this year. We hope
  to see some comments from you readers as well about what Pirate
  Times has meant for you? _Gefion_ What I love about the Times is the
  international view on things. So often I get stuck in my own
  national view of what the pirate movement is, what pirates are, what
  is relevant. The Times and all the articles from various countries
  around the globe helps me to bear in mind that we are an
  international movement, with international topics that are too big
  to be covered - or solved - by one country alone. Whatever we can
  achieve, we can do best internationally. I like to think that the
  Times contributes some momentum to this common goal. _Andrew_ I
  joined as a proof reader and soon started writing and editing. For
  me the most valuable thing I have gotten from the Pirate Times is
  meeting the team members - many of whom have gone on to take
  important roles in the movement at national or international
  levels. Also the privilage of getting to know Pirates from across
  the globe many of whom I have the honour to be able to call personal
  friends. _Josef_ We created Pirate Times as an international news
  hub to make Pirate Parties more aware of each other and the
  international movement that they are. In our first year we have come
  fairly far on this goal and many people have met up or been inspired
  from something they read on Pirate Times. Everytime I see or hear
  how our news have helped someone I get motivated to work harder. A
  big thanks to my team members whom have made this possible,
  especially the ones who have been keeping up the hard work when
  times got tough. _Loïc_ The Pirate Times is in my opinion one of
  the most important parts of the Pirate movement, by sharing
  information between pirates and with the rest of the world, it
  allows us to keep the swarm coherent and to grow it further. Who
  would miss being part of this? _pakki_ This open-minded,
  international and vanguard pirate magazine is the shifty eye beyond
  the pirate's nose. When I began contributing by learning and writing
  about international topics concerning everything around Pirate
  Parties, I've realized its magnificient potential and get known to a
  lot of inspiring people in this movement around the globe. I am very
  proud and grateful to be part of this. We all have to fill this
  world more with such great avenues. Participate! _Stathis_ I feel
  happy being in the team of Pirate Times. I had the opportunity to
  meet with pirates from around the world and shared thoughts,
  opinions and questions about the Pirate movement. Best things that
  happened to me: Interviewing Rick Falkvinge (founder of Pirate
  movement) and meeting in person with Andrew Reitemeyer. Call to all
  Pirate Parties: Let’s join forces; come in contact with Pirate
  Times to promote all small or big activities. _Fabián_ It’s
  always good to know there are more Pirates in different countries
  fighting for the same ideals and changing the world one step at a
  time. I also love the fact that the Pirate Times lets you know about
  Pirate initiatives abroad, so that you can learn from their success
  and import it into your own country. _Matic_ I'm very happy to be a
  member of a team of broad-minded people who are working very hard to
  post articles regulary and who are always willing to offer help to
  other members. Pirate Times is an important platform for all Pirates
  around the globe for updates about other Pirates and problems they
  face. I hope that Pirate Times will maintain its position as
  important information source for all people involved in the Pirate
  Movement. There were Ups and Downs during this year but that's the
  fate of every child who wants to learn to walk. Or as ancient
  Chinese philosopher said: "Every journey starts with first step."

Links:
------
[1] http://piratetimes.net/alex-arnold-becomes-the-first-elected-pirate-mayor/
[2] http://piratetimes.net/czech-pp-celebrates-first-pirate-senator/
[3] http://piratetimes.net/iceland-report-4-history-made-by-a-hairs-breadth/
[4] http://piratetimes.net/croatia-election-success/
[5] http://piratetimes.net/history-in-the-making-first-ever-pirate-unionist-elected-in-athens/
[6] http://piratetimes.net/flattr_may_2013/
[7] http://piratetimes.net/according-to-spanish-law-internet-piracy-is-the-same-as-torture/
[8] http://piratetimes.net/the-pirate-world-2012/
[11] https://www.facebook.com/PirateTimes
[12] https://twitter.com/piratetimes

http://piratetimes.net/happy-birthday-pirate-times-1-year-of-pirate-news/
An Open Letter From Pirate Party Brazil About Their Progress
from August 12, 2013 written by Josef Ohlsson Collentine

An open letter from the Pirate Party Brazil, explaining their
progress. Translation by Josef Ohlsson Collentine --- OPEN LETTER
NUMBER 1, 2013 PIRATES, Our journey began in 2007 when a small group
of people, inspired by the Pirate Party of Sweden, decided to join
together to create the Pirate Party of Brazil. Since then it took six
years and many events passed for us to reach for us to reach the
foundation of Pirate Party Brazil in Recife, the Capital of
Pernambucana, on July 28, 2012. From that time we launched a national
campaign to raise funds to register our documents in the Official
Gazette (DOU). The Pirate Party does not accept donations from
corporations or legal entities. Because of we this have received
donations during the last twelve months from 418 donors (individuals
and citizens) from all over Brazil. They made donations that together
exceeded the figure of twenty thousand Reals, the minimum amount
needed to make a publication in the Official Gazette. With the
publication and the work to get there many Brazilians became aware of
our existence, identified with the causes we advocated and became
PIRATAS. Currently thousands are organized into collectives/Clubs in
municipalities across the country, gathered around not one but several
causes related to human rights, the environment, the privacy of
information, sharing information for free, promoting access to
knowledge/culture, freedom of expression, minority rights to equal
treatment, the defense of the secular state, the transparency of
public management and construction of full democracy for the political
empowerment of the people. All these values ​​and principles are
in our bylaws and other documents of the Party, built collaboratively
on the internet during months of open discussion with Brazilian civil
society and approved at the General Meeting of the Party's Foundation.
Also in recent months our participation in political action, both
online and in person (on the streets), multiplied. There were marches,
peaceful occupations, forums, debates, interviews and protests,
twitter campaigns, publications, reports and more online campaigns,
which involved the direct participation of Pirates - and these
activities are still going on- all over Brazil. Now it's time to move
further in our journey, because in the coming days we will register
our bylaws, after which we will begin collecting supporter signatures
for our Registration with the Supreme Electoral Tribunal. Therefore,
we need to act, with coordination, to reach the amount of 500 000
supporter signatures needed for the creation of the Pirate Party of
Brazil, under the symbol: PIRATES. Our fight is the fight of all us
Brazilians wanting a nation and a world free of injustice and
oppression. Above all, our cause is motivated by the construction of a
fair balance between equality, justice and freedom. We want that every
person, regardless of origin, color, religion (creed or not), gender,
sex or social class, can live with dignity and security . Therefore,
it is with great pleasure that, on behalf of the Pirate Party of
Brazil, we thank each person who has devoted a portion of your time
and a portion of your savings to work with the construction of this
Party. I take this opportunity to urge all Pirates and supporters to
engage in our campaign to gather the supporter signatures, which will
begin in the coming days. Not too far away from each pier, harbor or
beach, in each horizon, you can observe, flaming and haughty, the flag
of the Jolly Roger collective with hope of change and transformation.
Our voices, hearts and minds long ago joined the cry of the people in
the squares and streets, walking in front, holding hands, heads held
high and chest open, without hatred and without fear, because it is
the people we are born with, the same people who will fight and build
a better world. Nazaréda Mata, August 10, 2013.

http://piratetimes.net/ppbr001/
Flattr Appreciation During July Euro 7.75
from August 11, 2013 written by Josef Ohlsson Collentine

In July we had 24 things flattred by 10 unique users. In total we were
flattred 35 times last month and received Euro 7.75 in support for our
work. This is the lowest amount so far but July has also been our most
inactive month in Pirate Times history. More active months are coming
for us so hopefully we will see our support rise again with our
activity.

  | _Flattr [1] is a microdonation service that allows you to give a
  | small amount of money each month to content you would like to give
  | support. It can be compared to a “facebook super-like” with
  | money attached. Users act like patrons [2] of work or people
  | they want to support and  ”many small streams” adds up to
  | something larger._

 Period: July

*		Thing:
* *		Clicks:
* *		Revenue:
*

		Pirate_Times on Flattr [3]
 		6
 		2.944

		Russian Pirates Battle Piracy Laws [4]
 		3
 		1.047

		Pirate Party Charges Banks for WikiLeaks Boycott [5]
 		1
 		0.666

		A Pirate’s Monologue on Change [6]
 		2
 		0.637

		The Pirate Party UK Will Remain an Ordinary Member of Pirate Parties
International [7]
 		2
 		0.637

		PPI blocked from becoming observer members of WIPO [8]
 		2
 		0.412

		Pirate Times website [9]
 		1
 		0.409

		Internet and Social Media as Tools of Freedom [10]
 		1
 		0.409

		Ed Snowden’s bid for Asylum – Live Updates [11]
 		1
 		0.409

		#exile6e – a Pirate Docuseries [12]
 		1
 		0.250

		About Us [13]
 		2
 		0.184

		The Team [14]
 		1
 		0.147

		UK Prime Minister calls for further Web Blocking [15]
 		1
 		0.037

		Luxembourgish government fell apart, re-elections in October [16]
 		1
 		0.037

		How a Swarm of Pirates Can Redefine Politics According to Rick
Falkvinge [17]
 		1
 		0.037

		UK Pirates to decide PPUK’s international direction [18]
 		1
 		0.037

		Happy Birthday was Stolen From Us [19]
 		1
 		0.037

		The Pirate Movement on Facebook and Twitter - April 2013 [20]
 		1
 		0.037

		Spanish Pirate Confederation attends Democratic Organizations
Congress in Salamanca [21]
 		1
 		0.037

		Local elections in Croatia [22]
 		1
 		0.037

		Alex Arnold Becomes the First Elected Pirate Mayor! [23]
 		1
 		0.037

		Flattr Appreciation During August [24]
 		1
 		0.037

		How Sweden Found an Effective Way of Broadening their Politics [25]
 		1
 		0.037

		Crypto Currency: A Funding Method for PPGR [26]
 		1
 		0.037

		Flattr fee
 		 - 0.860

		*Total sum for 24 things flattred by 10 unique users
 		 *7.75

  Featured image: CC-BY-SA, Flattr

Links:
------
[1] http://flattr.com/
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patronage
[3] http://piratetimes.net/thing/828008/PirateTimes-on-Flattr
[4] http://piratetimes.net/Russian-Pirates-Battle-Piracy-Laws
[5] http://piratetimes.net/Pirate-Party-Charges-Banks-for-WikiLeaks-Boycott
[6] http://piratetimes.net/A-Pirates-Monologue-on-Change
[7] http://piratetimes.net/The-Pirate-Party-UK-Will-Remain-an-Ordinary-Member-of-Pirate-Parties-International
[8] http://piratetimes.net/PPI-blocked-from-becoming-observer-members-of-WIPO
[9] http://piratetimes.net/
[10] http://piratetimes.net/Internet-and-Social-Media-as-Tools-of-Freedom
[11] http://piratetimes.net/Ed-Snowdens-bid-for-Asylum-Live-Updates
[12] http://piratetimes.net/exile6e-a-Pirate-Docuseries
[13] http://piratetimes.net/About-Us
[14] http://piratetimes.net/The-Team
[15] http://piratetimes.net/UK-Prime-Minister-calls-for-further-Web-Blocking
[16] http://piratetimes.net/Luxembourgish-government-fell-apart-re-elections-in-October
[17] http://piratetimes.net/How-a-Swarm-of-Pirates-Can-Redefine-Politics-According-to-Rick-Falkvinge
[18] http://piratetimes.net/UK-Pirates-to-decide-PPUKs-international-direction
[19] http://piratetimes.net/Happy-Birthday-was-Stolen-From-Us
[20] http://piratetimes.net/The-Pirate-Movement-on-Facebook-and-Twitter-April-2013
[21] http://piratetimes.net/Spanish-Pirate-Confederation-attends-Democratic-Organizations-Congress-in-Salamanca
[22] http://piratetimes.net/Local-elections-in-Croatia
[23] http://piratetimes.net/Alex-Arnold-Becomes-the-First-Elected-Pirate-Mayor
[24] http://piratetimes.net/Flattr-Appreciation-During-August
[25] http://piratetimes.net/How-Sweden-Found-an-Effective-Way-of-Broadening-their-Politics
[26] http://piratetimes.net/Crypto-Currency-A-Funding-Method-for-PPGR

http://piratetimes.net/flattr-appreciation-during-july-euro-7-75/
Young Pirates of Europe Has Been Founded
from August 9, 2013 written by Josef Ohlsson Collentine

Today the international organization Young Pirates of Europe
[1] (YPE) was founded by its eight founding members: the Young
Pirates of Sweden [2], Finland [3], France [4], Luxembourg [5],
Germany [6], Flanders [7], Norway [8] and Belarus [9]. The reason a
European organization instead of an international one is because they
are not aware of any youth organizations outside Europe (please
comment if you know any) but also to receive funding from the European
Parliament.

  | The main goal of YPE is to bring together European pirate youth
  | organisations and their members, improving not only the
  | coordination of their political work, but also supporting cultural
  | and personal exchange. As a federation of youth organisations,
  | education and personal development of young people as well as the
  | exchange of ideas and support of each other is an equally
  | important aim of YPE. YPE supports access to information and
  | education, copyright reform and the protection of fundamental
  | human rights.

 The newly elected board of Young Pirates of Europe consists of: Julia
 Reda as chairperson (Germany), Paula Roth as treasurer (Sweden),
 Lukas Martini as secretary general (Germany), Paul Beret Toni as
 board member (France), Lotta Söderholm as board member (Finland),
 Sviatlana Yermakovich as board member (Belarus), Mikael Iresten as
 board member (Sweden), Joel Kortesaari as board member (Finland) and
 Jana Michailidu as board member (Czech Republic). The statutes of YPE
 [10] mentions, amongst other things, how they will work together,
 how EPIC meetings will be held once a year and as a bonus how to
 properly pronounce YPE in different languages

  * Belarusian: Маладыя Піраты Еўропы (Maladiya
    Pirati Europi) (MPE)

  * Finnish: Euroopan Piraattinuoret (EPINU)

  * French: Jeunes Pirates Européens (JPE)

  * German: Junge Piraten Europa (JPE)

  * Luxembourgish: Jonk Piraten Europa (JPE)

  * Swedish: Ung Pirat Europa (UPE)

   Featured image: CC BY-SA YPE edit Aug 12: added Norway as founding
   member (missed in reporting because of late admission), changed
   Mikael Persson to Mikael Iresten because of a recent name change
   edit Aug 15: New Zealand has a youth organization. _ _Sviatlana
   Yermakovich and Joel Kortesaari were only running for the board,
   never elected

Links:
------
[1] https://young-pirates.eu/
[2] http://ungpirat.se/
[3] http://piraattinuoret.fi/
[4] http://jeunespirates.fr/
[5] http://jonkpiraten.lu/
[6] http://junge-piraten.de/
[7] http://piratenpartij.be/jonge-piraten
[8] http://ungepirater.no/index.php/om-unge-pirater/
[9] http://falanster.by/be
[10] https://wiki.young-pirates.eu/wiki/Statutes

http://piratetimes.net/young-pirates-of-europe-has-been-founded/
What is a Surveillance State and is it Good For You?
from August 5, 2013 written by Josef Ohlsson Collentine

There has been a lot of talk about surveillance since Edward
Snowden recently leaked information about Prism. This led to other
scandals such as Tempora being  revealed. What a surveillance state
is and whether it is good for individuals or not  is explained in the
following video: [caption id="attachment_26804" align="alignnone"
width="500"] [1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHlzsURb0WI[/caption]
I recommend that you watch the video since the animation  depicts the
subject very well but if you prefer pure text there is a transcription
of the subtitles used in the video below. --- A surveillance state is
defined as a state which legally surveils all actions, locations, and
friends of its citizens, in order to prevent crimes or in order to
solve them faster. That sounds like a quite good idea for now: Crimes
are being prevented and everyone is more secure. Nevertheless the term
has negative connotations. _why does it have negative connotations?_
One of the most important tasks of a state is to provide security for
its citizens. At the same time, the state has to allow them liberties
so that everyone can live their life individually. Security and
liberty complement each other, but also put each other in their place,
because liberty always goes hand in hand with risks, and security
always limits liberties. That's why in democracies a compromise has
been established, which unites the best of both worlds. In a
surveillance state, though, liberty is over-limited by security needs.
And that's already its biggest problem. Recently, this topic was in
the news regarding the so called data retention, which aimed at saving
all telephone and internet connection data for six months for the
fight against terrorism. And although the retention and its benefit
were heavily controversial, and were forbidden by the Federal
Constitutional Court, today this data retention seems almost harmless
compared to PRISM and Tempora, the two surveillance programmes of the
British and U.S. American governments, which affect everyone in the
world - including us in Germany. That's because those surveillance
programmes not only save connection data, but also simply everything
everyone of us does on the Internet, which goes through British or
U.S. American servers. Every text and every picture - literally
everything. Even that you're watching this video here right now. Some
types of surveillance have already been possible in Germany for many
years, for example wire-tapping of telephone calls, chats or e-mails
in order to fight terrorism and organized crime. For this, in specific
cases judges can order so-called eavesdropping operations. But what
would happen if from now on we surveilled simply EVERY telephone call,
EVERY chat and EVERY e-mail without any suspicion? Couldn't we prevent
crime and terrorism for all time then? Maybe for a short time, but
it's more likely that advocates of this idea underestimate the
inventiveness of criminals. Those who don't want to be brought to
light will always find a way, for example by strong encryption or
personal conversations at locations where the surveillance state has
no access. And now the only victims are completely normal, innocent
citizens, who from now on are being watched by the state in everything
they do. Anyone who ever got a friend request from their mum, teacher
or employer on Facebook can maybe understand how it feels to be
surveilled. Do I really want my parents seeing the tagged pictures my
friends made of me smoking? And do I want to get caught by my employer
online when I'm perhaps not saying nice things, when I'm actually
running a temperature and should be in bed? Tumblr and GAG are full of
examples in which careless people harshly criticise their employer,
then get fired by them in the comment area. Or stoner confessions,
replied to by their parents with: 'Get your ass home. We gotta talk.'
A surveillance state, which is always reading along, principally is
nothing else but that - except that in a surveillance state one
doesn't have the choice to decline its friend request. What results
from such surveillance is self-censorship: Everything one says or
does, what could be controversial, people will keep to themselves in
order to avoid possible problems - even though they will assume that
what they are doing is totally legal. So, even critical discussions
and statements will be limited out of fear. Advocates of surveillance
argue that someone who has nothing to hide, has nothing to fear. But
unfortunately that idea contains a number of mistakes. It's about
balance between state and citizens. That means that the citizen has
something to fear, if he has something to hide. Is that also true for
secret services whose name shows that they have something to hide? Why
should someone assume that the state's secrets are always legitimate
while at the same time, secrets of citizens are in principle not? That
surveillance could be inconvenient for a single person is also
ignored, which brings us back to the 'has nothing to fear' part. A
completely innocent person has indeed to fear inconvenient
'surveillance'. And what about governmental sanctions like custody? In
Great Britain, people can be detained for up to fourteen days without
being charged. Should the suspicion turn out to be unfounded, there
won't be any compensation for the imprisonment. Bad luck. The same
holds true for Germany, where due to probable cause computer hardware
and data of companies and private persons is confiscated - something
that happens frequently! And even if the people concerned turn out to
be innocent, they are left with the damage, because police can keep
confiscated computer hardware and data for months and even years. The
statement '... has nothing to hide' assumes that the only one at fault
is the citizen - not the state. And it is also possible that as laws
toughen, what used to be unproblematic, now, suddenly, raises
suspicion. Or that a democratic system turns into a dictatorship, what
may be currently happening in Hungary. The statement '... nothing to
hide' assumes, that the state always is right - even if it is
mistakening or abusing its power. In the beginning of 2012 the Briton
Leigh Van Bryan tweeted about his upcoming journey to the U.S that he
wanted to 'destroy America' and 'dig up Marilyn Monroe'. By 'destroy
America', of course, he meant to party and get drunk. The US
immigration department which obviously scans twitter for phrases like
these, couldn't take a joke, searched his luggage for spades and sent
him and his female companion in handcuffs first to prison and then
back to Britain. Even worse is what happened to Justin Carter, a
teenager from Texas, who was called 'fucked up in the head' by a
Facebook friend after a match in 'League of Legends'. His sarcastic
answer, 'Oh yeah, I'm real messed up in the head, I'm going to go
shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts.
LOL. JK.', not only got him put into jail for months but now, he also
has to fear a jail term of ten years. What was meant to be a harmless
joke is loved to be misunderstood by sarcasm-resistant authorities,
who follow them with serious consequences. In that case, is there any
room left for sarcasm? And what effect will it have on your liberty
and self-censorship if you fear that what was once private - every
word you write and say - is being checked by authorities for possible
law suits, and therefore possibly misunderstood? Andrej Holm, a
scientific academic in Berlin's Humboldt University, got attention
from the police after using the words 'gentrification' and
'precarisation' in an online article. The exact same words appeared in
a confession after an assault on police cars in Berlin. For that
reason, Holm and his family were heavily surveilled for months before
he was arrested in his apartment, wearing nothing but underpants, and
finally he was taken into custody for three weeks. Holm proved to be
innocent, however, the damage made was irreversible. He now has to
deal with the state having deeply documented his intimate life for
months, including that of his family, and that they continued to do so
for some time after his release. You don't even need to pursue the
authorities' attention, if you have the wrong name, for example. Three
James Robinsons from the USA had to experience what it means to be on
a terror watchlist. The first is a pilot, the second a lawyer, and the
third a year old boy. And all three have been suspected to be
terrorists and had to endure intense inspection or even not being
allowed to fly. Although all three protested against such treatment,
nothing changed. Only after they 'changed' their name in bookings -
like 'Jim' for 'James' - were they allowed through. What is a terror
watchlist worth, if it punishes the wrong people, and what conclusions
can be made on the reliability of other forms of surveillance? A
further problem is the abuse of data - and that does not only mean the
sale of private addresses for advertising purposes, as is perfectly
legal in Germany's registry offices, but also the usage of private
information discovered through spying such as affairs, sexuality or
political convictions. Who knows about your private life has power
over you, and nobody knows this better than the victims of communist
East Germany's intelligence service or that of another German rogue
state. The German police enlisted known and suspected gays in the 19th
century to ease prosecution under a law forbidding gay sex. Those
lists came into the hands of the Nazis, who first tightened the law,
and then took ten thousands of men into psychiatric custody and
castrated or killed them in death camps. Nobody thought this would
happen as they started the so-called 'rose lists', so this became an
important memorial against data collection. Concerning Nazis - what
opportunities would the jews have had to escape from Hitler's Reich
with false documents, if there had been biometric passports and
networked surveillance systems on every airport and border back then?
Aren't we already preparing for the future prosecution of minorities
with this? Politicians, such as the former German minister of the
interior Wolfgang Schäuble, always rejected such comparisons with the
message, that a fall-back into the Nazi's system in today's Germany
would be unthinkable. But how can he be sure that here in twenty or
thirty years' time no other rogue state would be established like now
in Hungary, or that Germany will not be taken over by some angry
stranger? A state of law must not only care about security - it has to
take care that its methods will never be abused against its citizens.
A surveillance state is also described by George Orwell in his novel
'Nineteen Eighty-Four': A state forcing its citizens to act within the
law by total surveillance, controlling language, suppressing sexuality
and staging war and terror to justify surveillance. The saying of
surveillance critics, 'Nineteen Eighty-Four was not supposed to be an
instruction manual' is meant seriously. Many of Orwell's fictions
became reality: The programmes PRISM and TEMPORA are surveilling
everything you do on the internet. Because of GPS and smart-phones,
your location can be queried at any time. Sexuality is being
suppressed to prevent crimes which are often entirely unrelated.
Cameras surveil public space and identify license plate numbers, faces
or even 'suspicious behaviour' automatically. War reports are
manipulated, and public opinion is controlled by it, like for example
the alleged 'weapons of mass destruction' in Iraq. The pursuit to
protect people can turn out to be more damaging than any damage
avoided. Permanent surveillance restricts our liberty, causes
self-censorship and paranoia and costs a lot of tax money without
being shown to be useful. It's likely that surveillance will rise
within the coming years. The reason why every private conversation in
the world is not yet being surveilled is not due to respecting privacy
- it is simply not possible, yet. But technology will progress enough
soon, and the question is how we will deal with it. Do we want to live
in a world, in which security and liberty are equally valued? Or in a
surveillance state, in which liberty itself is suspicious and has been
suppressed in the pursuit of security? What do you think? Is
surveillance good or bad for our society, or are we already on the way
into the surveillance state?

Links:
------
[1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHlzsURb0WI

http://piratetimes.net/what-is-a-surveillance-state-and-is-it-good-for-you/
The Game of Politics : Book Review
from August 3, 2013 written by Andrew Reitemeyer

If you have never read a book on politics before then this one, being
easy to read and follow, is the one to start with.

!! “The Game Of Politics” - Pursuit Of Power Over People Game
Manual. !!

 _Author: Jón Thór Ólafsson, one of the first three Pirates to be
 elected to a national parliament in Iceland in April 2013._ Jón
 Thór has a political science degree and was on the PPIS campaign
 committee that realised the historic electoral victory in the last
 election. He worked as the parliamentary assistant for Birgitta
 Jónsdóttir when she was an MP for the Movement political party, and
 is therefore well qualified to write a book such as this one. What is
 more impressive is that the book was first published in 2008 – four
 years before his election. It starts with a warning from Plato that
 is very applicable to today's situation: “The penalty for refusing
 to participate in politics is that you end up being ruled by worse
 men than yourself.” The book is aimed at bringing the principles of
 game theory to the rough world of politics in an educational and
 practical way. Expansive use of well thought-out tables and matrices
 help the novices (and more experienced politicians) to make better,
 more informed decisions. And whether you like it or not, we are all
 politicians - be it in the family, at work or on the national (or
 even world) political stage. It is literally a pocket book and only
 57 pages long, but packed with helpful advice. The book is currently
 out of print and its associated website is also closed but Jón Thor
 has agreed to let us publish a PDF version on a Pirate Times page.
 The book is divided into three main parts:

!! Part 1: The Game Of Politics !!

 This contains a very good primer on politics in general, which deals
 with factors that motivate people to reach for political goals and
 how political players work to achieve those goals. This section
 contains three subsections: *The Human Qualities* - which covers the
 motivation and the means to reach political goals. *The Political
 Players* - types of players and the various political systems. *The
 Political Power* – defining direct and indirect power.

!! Part 2: Predicting The Game Results !!

 Being able to see how the game will end given the current set of
 circumstances is essential to devising good strategy. This section is
 divided into two subsections: *Game Results Matrix* - how to
 graphically depict the state of play. *Political Player Profile* –
 how to analyse the methods, motivations and means of the other
 players friend or foe.

!! Part 3: Influencing The Game Results !!

 Now we get to learn how to put the theory into practice. This
 section is divided into two subsections: *Mobilizing -* how to get
 yourself and others active for a cause. *Strategizing* - how use your
 new knowledge of yourself, the other players and the relative
 positions to create an effective strategy. We Pirates want to change
 the world and the way we have chosen to do it is by changing the
 system from the inside. That means we have to be aware of the tactics
 available to us and those that our opponents will use against us. In
 the real world, politics is Realpolitik [1] (based on power and
 material factors) and we need to learn to work effectively in that
 theatre while internally we explore new ways of reaching decisions.
 This little book should be the next book on politics you read;
 perhaps your first but it should not be your last. There is a section
 with suggested reading.

 The book ends with: _*The game is on, it's your move!*_

 [caption id="attachment_26796" align="aligncenter" width="157"] CC
 BY-SA Jón Þór Ólafsson[/caption] Featured image: Newfrontiers
 CC BY-NC

Links:
------
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realpolitik

http://piratetimes.net/the-game-of-politics-book-review/
UK Prime Minister calls for further Web Blocking
from July 27, 2013 written by Ed

In a widely criticised move, this week David Cameron (The UK's Prime
Minister) indicated his intention to force Britain's ISPs to filter
pornography, this would be achieved by making account holders "opt in"
for access to otherwise black-listed sites on the public web. The
Prime Minister also demanded that Search companies (such as Google,
Yahoo and Bing) do more to block images of child abuse, including the
blocking of search terms. [1] Announcements such as this do not come
as much of a surprise to many activists and campaigners in the UK, who
have been warning about the creep of such measures for years. What is
surprising, however, is that the announcement came not from
self-appointed "protectors of decency", but instead from a Prime
Minister whose government has been rapidly expanding the proliferation
of "Open Data" and, as pointed out in an open letter by Pirate Party
UK, flies in the face of the results of their own consultation
released in December 2012, sourced from the industry, experts,
charities and parents. The industry and campaigners have been warning
that the sort of blocking increasingly seen in the UK over the past 12
months is both ineffective and dangerous. In a nation where there is
estimated to be one CCTV camera per 32 citizens and where there were
threats to "switch off" Social Networking websites during last year's
unrest in London which was swiftly mimicked in other UK cities,
campaigners will increasingly have their work cut out.

!! WHERE WILL THE UK GO FROM HERE? !!

 It is likely that Mr Cameron will realise how unworkable his
 proposals are, and after conversations with the industry and
 campaigners followed by a series of increasingly vague speeches on
 the subject, they will be quietly dropped in the run-up to the UK's
 general election in 2015. However, once proposals like this are
 mooted, headlines grabbed and knees jerked, they become "normalised"
 in the minds of the electorate and become one step closer to blind
 acceptance. So will the UK become a filtered state in the near
 future? We will be keeping a close eye and reporting on any
 developments. Featured images: Ed Geraghty (c)

Links:
------
[1] http://piratetimes.net/wp-uploads/news/2013/07/watching-out-for-you.jpg

http://piratetimes.net/uk-prime-minister-calls-for-further-web-blocking/
Russian Pirates Battle Piracy Laws
from July 23, 2013 written by Andrew Reitemeyer

While Europe and the US are still coming to terms with the
implications of Edward Snowden's revelations, we should not forget
that it is not only in the West that hard-won freedoms are being
attacked by authoritarian governments. In Russia, “anti-piracy”
laws are being introduced on 1 August 2013. These laws are a direct
attack on internet freedom according to the Russian Pirate Party, who
are organising a series of actions, together with allied activists,
with four main tactics.

!! Tactic One !!

 The first is a protest meeting-concert that will be held on 28 July
 2013 in Moscow featuring copyright-free music. There will also be
 workshops in the use of Tor, VPN and similar privacy ensuring
 technologies. Initially, the authorities of Moscow denied them
 permission to hold a meeting in the proposed place, Triumphalnaya
 Square, but after some work a compromise was reached. Similar
 meetings will be held in St. Petersburg and Tomsk, as well as other
 cities.

!! Tactic Two !!

 The second action planned is a web strike on 1 August. On this day, a
 large number of popular websites and portals will be turned off for a
 while and internet users will be encouraged to put a black square in
 place of their avatars - more than 1,600 users have already
 indicated they will be taking part.

!! Tactic Three !!

 The third arm of the party's strategy is to organise a petition for
 the abolition of the anti-piracy law; they have already collected
 over 45,000 signatures - almost half of the required 100,000. On
 reaching 100,000 the initiative should be included for consideration
 in the Parliament of Russia.

!! Tactic Four !!

 Among other things, at the end of July activists will launch a Pirate
 VPN service and will start to teach users how to avoid the
 "anti-piracy" law. More information, in Russian, can be obtained from
 the campaign web site. Featured Image: PPRU CC BY-SA   //

http://piratetimes.net/russian-pirates-battle-piracy-laws/
The Pirate Party UK Will Remain an Ordinary Member of Pirate Parties International
from July 17, 2013 written by Josef Ohlsson Collentine

PPUK has been part of Pirate Parties International (PPI) from the
beginning, but its ordinary members did not make the decision in the
past. In a vote [1] triggered by concerns about PPI from the UK's
executive, the ballots have been counted, the decision made. The
Pirate Party UK will remain an ordinary member of Pirate Parties
International (PPI).

!! Mandate !!

 Over the last few weeks there has been a lot of discussion, debate
 and argument about the merit of PPI membership.  In fact we talked
 about the value of PPI, issues with personalities, issues with
 structure, problems with voting, financial irregularities and more.
  There was little that wasn't brought up and almost everyone had a
 different position or view on the subject.  There was, however, one
 thread that remained constant throughout - UK Pirates want an
 effective way of working with pretty much everyone. Almost everyone,
 for or against, pointed out the problems that PPI faces, its failures
 and its successes. But no-one was happy with the idea of PPI failing.
 Therefore, as from today, we have a mandate to commit time, people
 and money to ensure that the PPI becomes more effective.  We have to
 work to help the PPI achieve its potential. Not because it is easy,
 but because our members demand it. For the first time, we are clear
 that we are acting on the basis of what our members want in this area
 and we will do that to the best of our abilities. It seems that the
 last line of the case for remaining a PPI member made an impact.  It
 was quite simple, a question of intent:

  | If you value international cooperation through the PPI, the forums
  | for international discussion it provides and want the UK Pirate
  | Party to make a further effort in working to stabilise and improve
  | the PPI, I would ask you to vote that the party should remain a
  | full member.

!! The Next Steps !!

 Now we have to work to stabilise and improve the PPI, help it become
 an organisation that we can all be proud to be members of.  That
 means working with other members and the PPI board to ensure it is
 equipped to meet its aims as well as ours. As I said at the start of
 this vote - we need to work on cooperation. Doing this through the
 PPI isn't the easiest way to do that; but as it turns out, the Pirate
 movement is one that generally doesn't take the easy option, but
 always aims for the right outcome. Those are the lofty goals - what I
 need to do now with my team is to identify the practical issues -
 after all, it is my department that is responsible for international
 coordination from the UK side. Happily, the reports that were passed
 back to the party that were part of the reason that this vote was
 triggered identify many of these issues that we need to solve.
  There is no good reason why together we shouldn't be able to fix
 the problems that we found and begin to make the changes that so many
 of our members, and other PPI members and officers seemed to demand
 in the discussions of the last month. So, I'd briefly like to abuse
 the generosity of the Pirate Times and ask that anyone reading this,
 member or not, who would like to help in this effort, get in touch
 with either their own international coordination team, or the UK
 parties campaigns team [campaigns at pirateparty.org.uk [2]] and let us
 know.  There is work to do.  And now, with your help, is the time
 to do it. Editors note: For more information about why PPUK was
 considering pulling out of PPI you can take a look at the last post
 [3] by Andy Featured picture: CC-BY-SA, Tim Dobson

Links:
------
[1] http://piratetimes.net/ppuk-ppi/
[2] mailto:campaigns at pirateparty.org.uk
[3] http://piratetimes.net/ppuk-ppi/

http://piratetimes.net/the-pirate-party-uk-will-remain-an-ordinary-member-of-pirate-parties-international/
A Pirate’s Monologue on Change
from July 12, 2013 written by Stathis Leivaditis

Some like to rename the stagnation we are in today as “stability”.
In this case the word "stability" only refers to the maintaining of
status quo, mostly because it is suited well for traditional
politicians and corporations. If we get out of this “stability” it
does not necessarily mean that we will find ourselves in a period of
“instability”. But let us suppose that a period of
“instability” will occur (“Instability” for whom and from what
thing?). The word “Instability” has only negative characteristics,
with ease, it could have positive connotations as well! Although there
is a fear of “instability”, does this mean that we should not move
from the old to the new? Should we avoid change and experimentation?

Today we are experiencing hard unstable times and are hoping for a
positive outlook. It is not right  to think in such a way. Our
rationale is structured by words that mislead our minds trained to
think in one dimension. Everything is not black *or* white, it is
always a balance between the two. For example, let us take the word
“stability”. Of course it has both positive and negative
connotations. The negative parts are for the majority while the
positive parts are for the very few who have created this "stability"
by imposing laws that supposedly guarantee it, of course to their
advantage.

   It is right to choose those stability features that are
 really warranted and reject others that are inherent in the terms
 of a “going backwards stability”. For example, solidarity ensures
 stability while a competitive economy impoverishes. Also, respect for
 human values and an appreciation of diversity support it  whereas
 the idea  that everything has its price does not. These ensure “a
 stability with unstable characteristics” that changes its form from
 the perspective of the "good stability” and can be accepted by all
 that changes should be made because that's the way stability
 prevails!  This is not referring to an economy that needs not be
 changed but to be repealed at the globalized sense of the prevalence
 of the strong, the lender against the borrower. Economy needs two to
 tango, one who sells and one who buys, and are equivalent and equall,
 with the same value and not by the predominance of the seller. A
 strong man is not the one who survives but he who coexists.    It
 should be understood that it is natural new generations to have
 different opinion and this should be assessed in a positive way and
 to facilitate its expression. Law of evolution dictates that always
 there are changes to come and do not bring the overturn of stability
 because these changes are done to maintain stability.   We basically
 need a spiritual revolution in everyone’s mind, a restoration of
 the concepts and a sober analysis of the words, what they really
 mean, because words have lost their meaning and their proper
 associative display in our minds. During his life, a man should
 achieve self-determination and self-realization within society or a
 team. If he doesn't achieve them, he alienates himself from
 society.    An ideal society creates a safety net for its members,
 giving them the opportunity to hover over the old and the new, fall
 and then get up and seek new paths. The reconsideration of predefined
 roles and rigid positions, the simultaneous and successive movements
 of members in many directione will gradually lead to a new form of
 stability without interference or obstacles and create the conditions
 for a critical and creative subversion. Systems change as long as
 changes occur in their structure and organization.  In certain phases
 of our lives there are some revisions required; collective revisions
 by removal of terms, rules and laws that have become dysfunctional
 and this is not bad at all! With personal responsibility and
 collectivity, two interrelated senses, we can get rid of the
 unnecessary weight of representative democracy. We have the
 technology, it can be done easily. This pretty much Pirate Parties
 say.   Pirates seek stability in the sense of the revisions and
 realignments that we have to dare to do through democratic expression
 processes. We have to show flexibility in revision and negotiate our
 differences with productive interactions; we must reduce the fear of
 the “new” and co-shape the sense of stability by integrating the
 “individual” to the “collective”.   We've been trained to
 see concepts in a disjunctive way. Liquidity brings feelings of
 uncertainty, but the new could only be actualized  through the
 overthrow of the status quo. Stability and instability, order and
 chaos are two sides of the same coin and based on this, we must
 redefine principles and forces that govern change.   Instability
 times should not be linked with disaster scenes or disorganizing, but
 must be considered as a necessary preparation stage for the creation
 of new structures of a higher degree of organizing. We already know
 and have seen in the internet that a small ripple can start a
 completely new process that will drastically change the whole
 behaviour of the system.   Pirates are the new ingredients,
 catalysts in the system, in small doses and quantities that will lead
 to a new set of reactions between the branches and components and
 compete with its previous mode. Pirates say,  "do not be afraid to
 experiment", change is the law of life. Whether we achieve change or
 not it depends on us; the doses we use, the quantity of ingredients,
 but always having in mind the interrelationship of stability and
 instability, of order and chaos.   Sometimes we fail to perceive the
 hidden order below what we see as complex and superficially unstable
 and fear of the symptoms of dissolution if we dare to choose an
 hitherto "unorthodox" solution or behaviour. We must be trained and
 prepared at every moment for a change of tack and of this is
 normality and of life. The ideal combination, because of the
 liquidity of conditions, would be the same flexible in
 decision-making processes and guarantee the collective decision.
 An educated man could redefine and abolish the educational system, or
 a part of it, by putting important arguments for its effectiveness.
 And why should we not do it? There is no reason he wouldn't do it
 when he realizes that it's not working anymore. The purpose of
 education should be innovation not hypnosis, freedom and broadening
 of horizons not limits and prohibitions. When humanity, as a
 whole, doesn't come out for the benefit of education, then it is
 not called progress and development but regression and stagnation
 that some like to rename as “stability”.   And after that,
 politics as we know it up to now, could be redefined too.  Featured
 image: CC BY PPGR  This is a Team Editorial Article and thus is an
 expressed opinion rather than a statement of policy of any Pirate
 Party or organisation.

http://piratetimes.net/a-pirates-monologue-on-change/
Luxembourgish government fell apart, re-elections in October
from July 11, 2013 written by Josef Ohlsson Collentine

Yesterday the luxembourgish government fell apart. This means that
Luxembourg will have elections in October. With the latest poll
showing 3% for PPLU it's looking very positive for them reaching over
the 3.5% barrier. Their campaigning needs help and they are trying to
get donations to reach their goal of € 25 000.  Help them by
donating what you can [1]. With this budget they will be able to run a
good campaign to increase their percentage in elections with the
following plan:

  | Posters and plaques: 10.000 € Flyers and election campaign
  | journal: € 5.500 Giveaways: 6.000 € Information booth
  | material: 2.000 € Various (administrative charges,
  | transportation, etc.): € 1,450

 Other ways to help is ofcourse to travel there and aid during
 election times. You can also help to bring more attention to them by
 using the hashtag #Neiwahlen on twitter which means "new elections"
 and is followed by press in Luxembourg. Featured image:
 CC-BY, Piratepartei Lëtzebuerg [2]

Pirate Party Luxembourg (PPLU) http://piratepartei.lu/ [3]
http://www.facebook.com/PirateparteiLu [4]
http://twitter.com/Piratepartei [5]
https://plus.google.com/102201720880310261301 [6]  irc: #piratenlu
irc.pirateirc.net http://www.youtube.com/Piratepartei [7]

Links:
------
[1] https://donate.piraten.lu/
[2] http://www.flickr.com/photos/piratepartei/
[3] http://piratepartei.lu/
[4] http://www.facebook.com/PirateparteiLu
[5] http://twitter.com/Piratepartei
[6] https://plus.google.com/102201720880310261301
[7] http://www.youtube.com/Piratepartei

http://piratetimes.net/luxembourgish-government-fell-apart-re-elections-in-october/

Thank you for reading our newsletter. If you for some reason want to<br />
unsubscribe you can do that at<br />
http://lists.pp-international.net/listinfo/piratetimes .  We always<br />
appreciate feedback for improving Pirate Times. If you have comments,<br />
ideas or tips on news we would love to hear from you! Send a mail to:<br />
contact at piratetimes.net